Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by sh...@il.ibm.com on 2000/02/28 15:30:31 UTC

Re: Resend:Broken pipe error in tomcat3.0/3.1 while loading javascript

Rishi,

Does your JavaScript code does a reload?

I saw problems like yours (in other servlet containers) when
users/JavaScript
reloaded a page...

Can you send a sample (and simple) code that cause this bug?

     Gal Shachor

Rishi N wrote:

> I tried moving over to tomcat3.1_m2, as described in the mail sent out
> earlier by rubys@us.ibm.com. I still get the same error. I notice that
the
> errors occur as soon the page loading begins. they seem to be happening
due
> to our custom javascript libraries, but i can't see why these libs would
> cause a problem like this. also, the developer who used these libraries,
> does not face any problems while running his code on JavaWebServer2.0.
i'm
> running apache139, on sparc solaris 2.6, with  jdk1.2.2(required by the
> custom js libraries).
>
> Here is the error, again:

> <pre>
> java.io.IOException: Broken pipe
>         at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:83)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpResponseAdapter.doWrite(HttpResponseAdapter.java:146)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.core.BufferedServletOutputStream.doWrite(BufferedServletOutputStream.java:122)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.core.BufferedServletOutputStream.reallyFlush(BufferedServletOutputStream.java:245)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.core.BufferedServletOutputStream.write(BufferedServletOutputStream.java:186)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.servlets.DefaultServlet.serveStreamAsStream(DefaultServlet.java:337)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.servlets.DefaultServlet.serveStream(DefaultServlet.java:324)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.servlets.DefaultServlet.serveFile(DefaultServlet.java:288)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.servlets.DefaultServlet.doGet(DefaultServlet.java:200)
>         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:740)
>         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:865)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:390)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:513)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp12ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Ajp12ConnectionHandler.java:147)
>         at

org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:334)
>         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)
> </pre>
> </l:ctx>
> <l:ctx path="/test" >Broken pipe
> /test/html/subscribe/lib/table_constructor.js</l:ctx>
>
> The difference between using tomcat3.0 and tomcat3.1 is that in the
former
> case, after the above error, the login process would fail with another
> <internal servlet error>. with tomcat3.1, the login succeeds, though i
> sporadically get some other errors( i will post them in a separate
> mail,since they seem to be tomcat3.1 related)
>
> I can't figure out why I should get a SocketOutputStream.write() error.
Any
> pointers would be appreciated.
>
> thanks,
> rishi
>

> >hi,
> >
> >i'm running tomcat3.0 with apache 1.3.9 on sparc solaris. We are using
> >some
> >servlets and jsp's to build a UI, and they access an Ldap directory in
the
> >backend. everything was running fine until this morning, when we added
some
> >more code to some jsp's, and now i keep getting the error below
> >consistently.  like i said earlier, it was running fine until after the
new
> >code was added. it doesn't look like something which our code is
causing,
> >since all of the trace below seems to be coming for tomcat and java.
there
> >are no errors while starting up tomcat, except for "Problem loading
config:
> >serverlog.txt" which we have been getting right from the time we first
> >installed tomcat. we're using JDK1.2.2
> >
> >We are planning on a very crucial demo next week, and this kind of error
is
> >pretty much fatal for us. Any help will be greatly appreciated. any
tips,
> >pointers, workarounds are needed!!
> >
> >thanks,
> >rishi
> >

> >HANDLER THREAD PROBLEM: java.io.IOException: Broken pipe
> >java.io.IOException: Broken pipe
> >        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Native Method)
> >        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java,
> >Compiled Code)
> >        at
>
>org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpResponseAdapter.doWrite(HttpResponseAdapter.java,
> >Compiled Code)
> >        at
>
>org.apache.tomcat.core.BufferedServletOutputStream.doWrite(BufferedServletOutputStream.java,
> >Compiled Code)
> >        at
>
>org.apache.tomcat.core.BufferedServletOutputStream.reallyFlush(BufferedServletOutputStream.java,
> >Compiled Code)
> >        at org.apache.tomcat.core.Response.finish(Response.java,
Compiled
> >Code)
> >        at
> >org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java,
Compiled
> >Code)
> >        at
>
>org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp12ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Ajp12ConnectionHandler.java,
> >Compi
> >led Code)
> >        at
> >org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(TcpEndpoint.java,
> >Compiled
> >Code)
> >        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java, Compiled Code)

Gal Shachor
IBM Research, Haifa Lab.
Email: shachor@il.ibm.com
Notes: Gal Shachor/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
Phone: +972-4-8296164
Fax: +972-4-8550070
Address: IBM Haifa Research Lab, Matam, Haifa 31905, Israel