Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com> on 2008/05/23 16:32:25 UTC

Testing DNSRBLs using SA

Good morning all,

I am trying to use SA to test a DNSBL and I am not having any luck
getting the rule to hit. I've looked through 20_dnsbl_tests.cf, and read
the appropriate section in the docs.

http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html#rule_definitions_and_privileged_settings

Here is what I have currently,

header    RCVD_IN_SIP       eval:check_rbl('sip', 'sip.invaluement.com.')
describe  RCVD_IN_SIP       sender is known in Invaluement list
tflags    RCVD_IN_SIP       net
score     RCVD_IN_SIP       0.01

And yes, when I query my rbldnsd server from the server running SA with
an IP known to be in the list, I do get the proper response.

Anyone see a flaw in this concept?

Thanks,

DAve

--
In 50 years, our descendants will look back on the early years
of the internet, and much like we now look back on men with

Re: Testing DNSRBLs using SA

Posted by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com>.
DAve wrote:
> D Hill wrote:
>> To me that rule looks fine. Perhaps your testing is completely within
>> your trusted path? Feed the message with SpamAssassin with the -D
>> debug switch to see for sure.
>
> That is how I have been testing it.
>
>  spamassassin -D < test-mail 2>&1 | grep invaluement
>
> No joy, no real clue where to check next. Here is a link to the rule,
> message, and results from spamassassin debug.
>
> http://pixelhammer.com/Dan/dnsbl_rule_test.txt

PEBKAC!

#skip_rbl_checks 1

Works now.

DAve

Re: Testing DNSRBLs using SA

Posted by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com>.

Re: Testing DNSRBLs using SA

Posted by D Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.

Re: Testing DNSRBLs using SA

Posted by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com>.
Rob McEwen wrote:
> DAve wrote:
>> I am trying to use SA to test a DNSBL
>> <SNIP>
> PLEASE--note that direct queries to the invaluement.com DNSBLs will
> *always* fail.
>
> These are *only* available via RSYNC. So please don't try to add SIP to
> your RBL list... it won't work!!!
>
> (Dave knows this... I'm just mentioning this for others' benefit.)
>
> <embarrassed>and I'm not sure what the problem is with Dave's config. I
> use SA for some spam filtering tasks. But most of my own spam filtering
> is custom written and, therefore, I don't use SA for DNSBL lookups...
> which is why I'm sometimes caught off-guard regarding SA's dnsbl
> implemenations.</embarrassed>

Sorry Rob, I should have mentioned that so no one tried to duplicate my
rule and test it.

DAve

Re: Testing DNSRBLs using SA

Posted by Rob McEwen <ro...@invaluement.com>.
DAve wrote:
> I am trying to use SA to test a DNSBL
> <SNIP>
PLEASE--note that direct queries to the invaluement.com DNSBLs will
*always* fail.

These are *only* available via RSYNC. So please don't try to add SIP to
your RBL list... it won't work!!!

(Dave knows this... I'm just mentioning this for others' benefit.)

<embarrassed>and I'm not sure what the problem is with Dave's config. I
use SA for some spam filtering tasks. But most of my own spam filtering
is custom written and, therefore, I don't use SA for DNSBL lookups...
which is why I'm sometimes caught off-guard regarding SA's dnsbl
implemenations.</embarrassed>

Rob McEwen

RE: Testing DNSRBLs using SA

Posted by Robert - elists <li...@abbacomm.net>.

> I am trying to use SA to test a DNSBL and I am not having any luck
> getting the rule to hit. I've looked through 20_dnsbl_tests.cf, and read
> the appropriate section in the docs.
>
> http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html#
> rule_definitions_and_privileged_settings
>
> Here is what I have currently,
>
> header    RCVD_IN_SIP       eval:check_rbl('sip', 'sip.invaluement.com.')
> describe  RCVD_IN_SIP       sender is known in Invaluement list
> tflags    RCVD_IN_SIP       net
> score     RCVD_IN_SIP       0.01
>
> And yes, when I query my rbldnsd server from the server running SA with
> an IP known to be in the list, I do get the proper response.
>
> Anyone see a flaw in this concept?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Dave

If you are really trying to probe the local sip zone data, make it local and
create a local zone with a name something like...

sip.invaluement.local

not .com even though it might work, it creates confusion...

even though you can be locally, your name servers are not authoritive for
invaluement.com zone.

next, as I understand it, the sip zone is ip addresses only.... is that what
you are trying to check?

You can also look at the rbldnsd logs to see what is happening as well.

 - rh