Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Frento Burton <fb...@scs.howard.edu> on 2011/04/15 23:34:57 UTC

Unable to ssh from VM host to itself

Hello all,

I'm getting an error message in the install phase of VCL when I try to
configure my VM host to be able to ssh to itself. I type the command on the
management node (My current VCL installation is all on one desktop);

*ssh-copy-id –i /etc/vcl/vcl.key.pub localvmhost*

I receive this error message each time;

*ssh: \342\200\223i: Name or service not known*

Not sure what exactly those numbers mean nor am I really getting much from
google with this problem. I was hoping someone can show me where I should
began troubleshooting...

Re: Unable to ssh from VM host to itself

Posted by Jim Christensen <ib...@us.ibm.com>.
Please remove my name from the mailing list.

-- Thanks, Jim

From:
Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>
To:
vcl-user@incubator.apache.org
Date:
04/22/2011 03:53 PM
Re: Unable to ssh from VM host to itself

I haven't gone through those instructions myself.  They appear to be
quite dated -- VCL 2.1 and VMware 1.x.  Some of the steps included are
no longer necessary.

The instructions on the page I referenced were written for VCL 2.2 or
2.2.1 and VMware Server 2.x.

-Andy

http://renoir.csc.ncsu.edu/VCL/Program/VCL%20Installation%20Guide%20v1.4.pdf

Re: Unable to ssh from VM host to itself

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Configuring+a+Standalone+VCL+Environment+using+VMware+Server+2.0

Posted by Frento Burton <fb...@scs.howard.edu>.
I think I have fixed the problem, not sure what I did but I'm no longer
getting that error message (maybe rebooting the machine was all it took).
Also, where can I find the documentation for Configuring a Standalone VCL

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
I haven't seen this before but I'm guessing localvmhost hasn't been
added to /etc/hosts.  Whenever you see 'Name or service not known' it
means hostname resolution failed.

If you were trying to follow the "Configuring a Standalone VCL
Environment using VMware Server 2.0" then I think I figured out the
problem.  I had reworked the page and the step to configure /etc/hosts
was placed after the "Configure The VM Host To Be Able To SSH To Itself"
step.  Sorry about that.  I changed the order on that page.

-Andy