Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/07 09:43:01 UTC

reasoning.web module depends on the rules component

Hi

While working on updates to the Stanbol bundlelists I noticed that the
Web module of the Reasoning component depends on the Rules component.

As Stanbol Component should not depend on each other (at least without
a good reason) I would like to lean why this dependency exists and if
it would be possible to remove it.

best
Rupert

Re: reasoning.web module depends on the rules component

Posted by Alessandro Adamou <ad...@cs.unibo.it>.
Hi,

On 07/02/2013 08:43, Rupert Westenthaler wrote:
> While working on updates to the Stanbol bundlelists I noticed that the
> Web module of the Reasoning component depends on the Rules component.
>
> As Stanbol Component should not depend on each other (at least without
> a good reason) I would like to lean why this dependency exists and if
> it would be possible to remove it.

Off the top of my hat, as I'm not the main dev of these two components,

you can invoke a reasoner task and pass a set of inference rules in SWRL
or Stanbol Rule language. These are then executed as part of the task.

The reasoner API has a ReasoningServiceInputProvider interface, and
there is simply an implementation that supports these rules.

I don't see many sensible ways to separate this dependency, other than
moving the rule language spec to commons (and that probably still
wouldn't be enough).

best,
Alessandro

--
M.Sc. Alessandro Adamou

Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University
Walton Hall, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
United Kingdom

Department of Computer Science
Mura Anteo Zamboni 7, 40127 Bologna
Italy

"I will give you everything, just don't demand anything."
(Ettore Petrolini, 1917)

Not sent from my iSnobTechDevice