Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Carlos Villegas <ca...@uniscopecloud.com> on 2019/11/07 08:32:45 UTC

embedded guacamole and outter app session timeout

I'm using the Guacamole JS component and embedding it in a Vaadin application. I just followed the examples to and created a servlet similar to the example. And then used the Javascript guacamole library to embed it inside a HTML element container.

The problem I'm having is that if a set a session timeout in my application, the session always expires when I'm using the guacamole component. In other words, I'm interacting with the remote desktop, moving the mouse, clicking or even typing. However, the outter application still times out as if I were idle.

It seems the guacamole component is eating up all the user interactive events and the outter application doesn't know when guacamole is being used.

Any way to pass events up the page hierarchy or some way to avoid this?

Carlos

Re: embedded guacamole and outter app session timeout

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Nov 7, 2019, 00:33 Carlos Villegas <ca...@uniscopecloud.com> wrote:

> I'm using the Guacamole JS component and embedding it in a Vaadin
> application. I just followed the examples to and created a servlet similar
> to the example. And then used the Javascript guacamole library to embed it
> inside a HTML element container.
>
> The problem I'm having is that if a set a session timeout in my
> application, the session always expires when I'm using the guacamole
> component. In other words, I'm interacting with the remote desktop, moving
> the mouse, clicking or even typing. However, the outter application still
> times out as if I were idle.
>
> It seems the guacamole component is eating up all the user interactive
> events and the outter application doesn't know when guacamole is being
> used.
>
> Any way to pass events up the page hierarchy or some way to avoid this?

Are you sure that the application is waiting for JavaScript input events? I
would expect it to be the server that maintains the user's session, and I
would expect the server to timeout the user's session after a period of
time elapses without any HTTP requests.

If that is the case, then what you need is not to allow JavaScript events
to pass through Guacamole (which would likely cause browser trouble), but
to "tickle" the user's session regularly while any connection is active. If
you have control of the session expiration process, you could also have
that process take into account whether the user has any active connections
and, if not, the last time the user had an active connection.

- Mike