Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by mo...@comcast.net on 2017/01/07 22:57:01 UTC

does Tomcat 8.5.9 have UTF-8 encoding throughout by default?

Anyone know if it has UTF-8 encoding throughout out-of-the-box, or do I need to configure it to be so?

I'm seeing some headers using iso-8859-1 and I'm not sure where they're being generated.

Re: does Tomcat 8.5.9 have UTF-8 encoding throughout by default?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: does Tomcat 8.5.9 have UTF-8 encoding throughout by default?

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
On 07.01.2017 23:57, modjklist@comcast.net wrote:
> Anyone know if it has UTF-8 encoding throughout out-of-the-box, or do I need to configure it to be so?
>
> I'm seeing some headers using iso-8859-1 and I'm not sure where they're being generated.

Hi.
You are not being very explicit as to what headers you are worrying about.
But in any case, the default character set for HTTP headers (and for the WWW in general)
is still iso-8859-1 (unfortunately, one could say). That is not specific to Tomcat, it's
the HTTP RFCs.

Tomcat itself is a Java program, and the character represntation inside Java is Unicode,
but that's another matter.