Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Charles Duffy <ch...@dyfis.net> on 2013/06/23 18:15:12 UTC

Ivy contribution process / timeline

Howdy --

I've recently submitted three tickets to the IVY project on Apache's JIRA
instance:

IVY-1421 - SSH agent support for SSH and SFTP transports
IVY-1423 - Namespace revision mapping does not work bidirectionally
IVY-1424 - NIO FileLocker releases locks while still within tryLock() call

All three of these tickets have patches attached -- patches which I'm
successfully using in production. None of them has received a response of
any kind -- on a timeline which, for IVY-1421, spans more than a month.

Is there process I should be following to shepherd these through? Is there
a fixed release schedule, sufficiently fixed that new tickets will only be
considered after those scheduled for already-planned releases are resolved?

I'd rather not let things fall through the cracks and still be on a
locally-patched Ivy years from now (a state in which I've inherited far too
many tools). Any guidance which could be offered would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-- Charles

Re: Ivy contribution process / timeline

Posted by Stephen Haberman <st...@gmail.com>.
> I remember having a look at the issues which has submitted patches.
> Most of the time the issue was not trivial and required a good
> understanding of Ivy internal code, which I too many time have not.
> If there are unit tests included into the patch, this would be a huge
> help.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying.

> And if we find your patches are good and you've been around for some
> time, you'll be a good candidate to help us maintain Ivy by becoming
> a committer.

I'm not really shooting for committership, because I understand the commitment
that entails, but I'd be willing to shepard some patches along. E.g. vouch that
the issue is real, the patch makes sense, AFAICT anyway, and then push it along
for approval/submission by a real committer.

Just talking out loud, maybe we could nominate 1 issue every 1-2 weeks
or so that a) has patches attached and b) seems high priority (or easy)
enough to get in.

Does this seem like an okay plan? Maybe we can try it for an issue or
two and see how it goes.

Just wondering, does anyone want to nominate an issue we should start
with? Hopefully something easy, e.g. definitely not Charles's file
locking change. :-)

- Stephen

Re: Ivy contribution process / timeline

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Le 27 sept. 2013 à 04:20, Stephen Haberman <st...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi Charles,
>
> I am not an ant/Ivy/IvyDE committer, but I flagged your email to come
> back to, as I also have outstanding patches against Ivy and would like
> to see the contribution process be more timely.
>
>> I'd rather not let things fall through the cracks and still be on a
>> locally-patched Ivy years from now (a state in which I've inherited
>> far too many tools).
>
> Agreed. We've been running a forked Ivy for a year+.
>
> So, Ivy committers, I know everyone is pressed for time. What can do we
> to help here? Volunteer to do code reviews of patches? Run tests
> against patches?

The main issue here is that the committer community around Ivy and IvyDE is not indeed healthy. The way to fix this is to try to bring more people involved and make them become committers, so there is "always" people with some free time and passion to fix and improve the code from the users requests.

We've tried few times but it didn't worked well. That's maybe why we are less responsive to patch submissions. But I think we should try to continue.

I remember having a look at the issues which has submitted patches. Most of the time the issue was not trivial and required a good understanding of Ivy internal code, which I too many time have not. If there are unit tests included into the patch, this would be a huge help.

And if we find your patches are good and you've been around for some time, you'll be a good candidate to help us maintain Ivy by becoming a committer.

Nicolas

Re: Ivy contribution process / timeline

Posted by Stephen Haberman <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Charles,