Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Jesse Reynolds <li...@va.com.au> on 2001/08/28 07:08:57 UTC

MacRoman text encoding and C2

Hello

I've been using the following xml declaration in Cocoon 1 with
excellent results:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="MacRoman"?>

(becuase our live XML data is coming from a database on a Mac and
there are some non-ascii characters we're sending out that need to be
recognised appropriately by cocoon)

Anyway, Cocoon 2 doesn't seem to like this at all... I get the following error:

org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to execute
pipeline.:java.lang.RuntimeException: Problem in getTransformer:The
encoding "MacRoman" is not supported.

So, is the MacRoman text encoding just completely not supported by
Cocoon 2? or is there something I can do to make this work?

Thanks

-jesse

--

       Jesse Reynolds - Virtual Artists Pty Ltd - http://www.va.com.au
                                                  jesse (at) va.com.au

Re: MacRoman text encoding and C2

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@bibop.it>.
On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 05:19:24PM +0200, Fulvio Picecchi wrote:
> <?php
>    $XMLdoc_Latin1   = "Some characters: òàùèéì";
>    $XMLdoc_UTF-8    = iconv("ISO-8859-1", "UTF-8", $XMLdoc_Latin1);
>    $XMLdoc_MacRoman = iconv("ISO-8859-1", "MacRoman", $XMLdoc_Latin1);
> ?>
> Docs here: http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.iconv.php
> I can try to find some solutions in C2 but I'm really a newbie.
> I'm really sorry Jesse to not be able to help you. And for speaking
> about PHP in a wrong place ...

Might not be that wrong. While I do think that there might be a
much better solution, there should be a sort of quick and dirty
way to use PHP right inside Cocoon. Look at the PHP generator
(it does not get compiled by default, it needs the PHP libraries).

Hope it helps,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: MacRoman text encoding and C2

Posted by Fulvio Picecchi <fu...@prm.it>.
Well, I'm really sorry but I can't really help you 'cause I'm absolutely
new to Cocoon. I'm just learning, for the moment. I come from PHP
development and this operation in PHP is done in an extremely fast way
with the iconv() function:
<?php
   $XMLdoc_Latin1   = "Some characters: òàùèéì";
   $XMLdoc_UTF-8    = iconv("ISO-8859-1", "UTF-8", $XMLdoc_Latin1);
   $XMLdoc_MacRoman = iconv("ISO-8859-1", "MacRoman", $XMLdoc_Latin1);
?>
Docs here: http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.iconv.php
I can try to find some solutions in C2 but I'm really a newbie.
I'm really sorry Jesse to not be able to help you. And for speaking
about PHP in a wrong place ...
Sincerely,

--
Fulvio Picecchi

Posted by "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KP...@flagship.ru>.
Maybe another solution will be to post a message to Xerces or Xalan Dev mail
list with your problem? If C1 supports that encoding then I think that
Xerces/Xalan does the job and there must be either a reason that support was
removed or they simply didn't add it at all until somebody will ask them
about it.

Also, as it's Open source, you can look at other encoder classes in Xalan,
write your own and send it to xalan-dev.

Regards,
    Konstantin Piroumian.

Posted by Jesse Reynolds <li...@va.com.au>.
Thanks Fulvio

Posted by Fulvio Picecchi <fu...@prm.it>.

Posted by Jesse Reynolds <li...@va.com.au>.

Posted by Fulvio Picecchi <fu...@prm.it>.
Don't really know if Cocoon2 supports MacRoman, but when composing XML
docs it would be always better to _not_ use a platform-dependent
encoding like MacRoman (Mac) or Cp1252 (Windows).

If you try writing something like this in MacRoman <<Je l'ai cherché de
tous bords, tous côtés>> a PC user would see <<Je lÕai cherchŽ de tous
bords, tous c™tŽs>>.

--
Fulvio Picecchi