Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Bob M <rg...@orcon.net.nz> on 2014/09/22 20:50:40 UTC

Another error to be explained

Hi

Error Message:-

SQLException:
SQL State: XSDG3
Error Code: 45000
Message: Meta-data for unknown could not be accessed to read:
C:\....\us_copiosus\seg0\c510.dat
SQLException:
SQL State: XJ001
Error Code: 0
Message: Java exception: 'C:\...us_copiosus\seg0\c510.dat (Access is
denied):java.io.FileNotFoundException'.

What does this error mean?

Bob M
Dunedin
New Zealand

Re: Another error to be explained

Posted by Bob M <rg...@orcon.net.nz>.
Hi Myrna

Thanks for your input......................

I am running Windows 7, Home Edition on a HP Pavilion dv7 laptop
Derby version is 10.11.1.1

Database name is us_copiosus
Security Properties: Me - allow full control/modify/read &
execute/list/read/write
Admin - no permissions listed - i.e. completely blank

Sub-folder seg0:-
similar to the above except the 'ticks' are gray - not solid black as above
??????????

sub-file c510.dat
only Admin listed - not me
Admin - all permissions ticked in black...OK

I note that this file is 996KB - which is large c.f. many others which are
8KB

Bob M

Re: Another error to be explained

Posted by John English <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 23/09/2014 00:14, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> Otherwise, the only way I know is to check on each file using windows explorer -
> checking on 'properties' for each file and opening the 'security' tab. Perhaps
> your search engine finds a more efficient way.

Or open a "command prompt" window and type "dir /q/s foo" to display ownership
of files in foo and subdirectories of foo (/q = display owner, /s =
subdirectories), or "attrib /s foo\*.*" to display attributes of files in foo
and subdirectories of foo (/s = subdirectories again).
--
John English

Re: Another error to be explained

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
Hi Bob,

The Derby program relies on files that make up a Derby database to get
created in a certain way, and for those files to remain untouched by other
programs or actions.

It seems something has interfered with your database. We have no way of
telling what that is/was - only you can do this by diligently checking your
system and your application. Did you recently change the funcionality? Did
your system experience any kind of malfunction? (check the windows event
logs).

I can think of programs such as encryption tools, security programs, or
manual efforts (accidental or not) that could mess with file
permissions/ownership (which is what the error message seems to suggest).

One thing you can do, is check on the permissions of each file. You can
look up how to do this by a search for your OS in your favorite search
engine. Judging by the c:/ reference you are on some MS-Windows OS. If you
have a shell tool like cygwin you could do 'ls -al'. Otherwise, the only
way I know is to check on each file using windows explorer - checking on
'properties' for each file and opening the 'security' tab. Perhaps your
search engine finds a more efficient way.
You're looking to compare the file ownership and permissions. They should
all be the same for all the .dat files.

Another check you can do is the consistency check (
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DatabaseConsistencyCheck). Although I
suspect this will pop the same file.

For more information about corrupted databases, see:
https://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DatabaseCorruption.

HTH,
Myrna

Posted by Peter Ondruška <pe...@kaibo.eu>.
Access denied, could be antivirus or permission or attributes rendering
file inaccessible.

On Monday, 22 September 2014, Bob M <rg...@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> Sorry, but it is NOT missing!
>
> Bob M

Peter Ondruška

Re: Another error to be explained

Posted by Bob M <rg...@orcon.net.nz>.
Sorry, but it is NOT missing!

Bob M

Re: Another error to be explained

Posted by Peter Ondruška <pe...@kaibo.eu>.
To me it is pretty self-explaining. One of the required files of your
database directory is missing. c510.dat.

On 22 September 2014 20:50, Bob M <rg...@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Error Message:-
>
> SQLException:
> SQL State: XSDG3
> Error Code: 45000
> Message: Meta-data for unknown could not be accessed to read:
> C:\....\us_copiosus\seg0\c510.dat
> SQLException:
> SQL State: XJ001
> Error Code: 0
> Message: Java exception: 'C:\...us_copiosus\seg0\c510.dat (Access is
> denied):java.io.FileNotFoundException'.
>
> What does this error mean?
>
> Bob M
> Dunedin