Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Pei Chen <ch...@apache.org> on 2014/09/19 22:20:59 UTC

How to host a successful Apache Meetup?

There have been some interest around the cTAKES dev/user community in
the local Boston area and we were thinking about hosting a meetup.
Any general pointers?  How do folks normally pay for the meetup.com
organizer fees?

RE: How to host a successful Apache Meetup?

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
ConCom used to be the home for this kind of thing. It moved to ComDev when ConCom was disbanded. ComDev are yet to define how this support, this is a good thing as ConCom became a controlling influence that often stifled the energy behind local meetups.

On thus list there are plenty of people with practical experience of putting on local events.

For legacy process see http://wiki.apache.org/concom-planning/ConComSupportedEvents

For current branding policies see http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/events.html

To your specific question about costs. Events are expected to be self-sufficient (sponsorship) and not for profit (you can do for profit events but you are on your own). The foundation can help by providing access to trademarks etc.

Ross

Sent from my Windows Phone