Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com> on 2008/03/11 16:11:38 UTC

Google Summer of Code 2008 mentors needed.

Google Summer of Code 2008 is almost upon us (well, anyway, the
organization application deadline is almost upon us).

Please follow up here if you are willing, in theory, to be a mentor to a
student.  Don't worry, you won't be asked to mentor a project that you
don't feel competent to mentor.  This is just a "willing in principle"
show of hands.

Speaking of projects: I'm planning to update our project_tasks.html
page, which is usually were we list SoC ideas (but which is rather
behind the times at the moment).  Anyone with a good idea for an SoC
project, either follow up here or just commit it to that page if you
can.  The issue tracker is a good place to look for potential projects,
and that's where I plan to look.

(I believe we can continue to update the ideas page after our SoC
application is submitted, and certainly plan to do so.)

-Karl

Re: Google Summer of Code 2008 mentors needed.

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net>.
On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com> wrote:
> Google Summer of Code 2008 is almost upon us (well, anyway, the
>  organization application deadline is almost upon us).
>
>  Please follow up here if you are willing, in theory, to be a mentor to a
>  student.  Don't worry, you won't be asked to mentor a project that you
>  don't feel competent to mentor.  This is just a "willing in principle"
>  show of hands.

Strongly interested.

--dave

--
David Glasser | glasser@davidglasser.net | http://www.davidglasser.net/

Re: Google Summer of Code 2008 mentors needed.

Posted by "Daniel L. Rall" <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Karl Fogel wrote:
> Please follow up here if you are willing, in theory, to be a mentor to a
> student.  Don't worry, you won't be asked to mentor a project that you
> don't feel competent to mentor.  This is just a "willing in principle"
> show of hands.
>
> Speaking of projects: I'm planning to update our project_tasks.html
> page, which is usually were we list SoC ideas (but which is rather
> behind the times at the moment).  Anyone with a good idea for an SoC
> project, either follow up here or just commit it to that page if you
> can.  The issue tracker is a good place to look for potential projects,
> and that's where I plan to look.

I'm interested.

I'd be especially interested in working with a student on a sub-system of
wc-ng, if we're able to break it out clearly enough.

Re: Google Summer of Code 2008 mentors needed.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Karl Fogel wrote:
> Google Summer of Code 2008 is almost upon us (well, anyway, the
> organization application deadline is almost upon us).
>
> Please follow up here if you are willing, in theory, to be a mentor to a
> student.  Don't worry, you won't be asked to mentor a project that you
> don't feel competent to mentor.  This is just a "willing in principle"
> show of hands.

http://www.coconino.az.gov/uploadedImages/Health/Bioterror/Color%20hand.GIF

Guess that's all I'm good for these days ...

-- Brane

Re: Google Summer of Code 2008 mentors needed.

Posted by David James <ja...@cs.toronto.edu>.
On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com> wrote:
> Google Summer of Code 2008 is almost upon us (well, anyway, the
>  organization application deadline is almost upon us).
>
>  Please follow up here if you are willing, in theory, to be a mentor to a
>  student.  Don't worry, you won't be asked to mentor a project that you
>  don't feel competent to mentor.  This is just a "willing in principle"
>  show of hands.

Hi Karl,

I'd be willing to mentor a project this summer.

Cheers,

David

Re: Google Summer of Code 2008 mentors needed.

Posted by Martin Furter <mf...@rola.ch>.

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, John Peacock wrote:

> Lieven Govaerts wrote:
>> I'm planning on writing a framework to run filters while copying
>> repositories. Something like svnsync with filters, are svndumpfilter
>> without dump files. Anyway, a (few) filter(s) like 'remove all descendant
>> files' of SECRET.txt@2589 might be a nice task.
>
> Would that cover "reparenting" as well (i.e. during a copy from one repo to
> another perform wholesale rewriting of the directory tree).  I've been trying
> to write one for $WORK using dumpfiles as my source and it is extremely
> tricky with exclusively edge cases AFAICT.
>
> If this is one of the features you would consider, please contact me offline
> and I'll help work on a spec...

The merge command of svndumptool can do the "reparenting" of subtrees. I
guess deleting subtrees wouldn't be hard to add to it. But when copy-from
references a deleted node there are two cases: Either the copied node has
to be deleted too or the copy has to be transformed into a normal add
which then needs the text of the copy-from node (which is not available
anymore when processing a stream).

Hmm, I guess that's why I never implemented delete...

Martin

Re: Google Summer of Code 2008 mentors needed.

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.
Lieven Govaerts wrote:
> I'm planning on writing a framework to run filters while copying
> repositories. Something like svnsync with filters, are svndumpfilter
> without dump files. Anyway, a (few) filter(s) like 'remove all
> descendant files' of SECRET.txt@2589 might be a nice task.

Would that cover "reparenting" as well (i.e. during a copy from one repo
to another perform wholesale rewriting of the directory tree).  I've
been trying to write one for $WORK using dumpfiles as my source and it
is extremely tricky with exclusively edge cases AFAICT.

If this is one of the features you would consider, please contact me
offline and I'll help work on a spec...

John

Re: Google Summer of Code 2008 mentors needed.

Posted by Lieven Govaerts <sv...@mobsol.be>.
Karl Fogel wrote:
> Google Summer of Code 2008 is almost upon us (well, anyway, the
> organization application deadline is almost upon us).
>
> Please follow up here if you are willing, in theory, to be a mentor to a
> student.  Don't worry, you won't be asked to mentor a project that you
> don't feel competent to mentor.  This is just a "willing in principle"
> show of hands.

I'm willing to put in the time and energy, if something near my area of
interests.

Did we already review our GSoC of last year btw? I'd like to know if the
projects of last year were adequately sized.

> Speaking of projects: I'm planning to update our project_tasks.html
> page, which is usually were we list SoC ideas (but which is rather
> behind the times at the moment).  Anyone with a good idea for an SoC
> project, either follow up here or just commit it to that page if you
> can.  The issue tracker is a good place to look for potential projects,
> and that's where I plan to look.

I'm planning on writing a framework to run filters while copying
repositories. Something like svnsync with filters, are svndumpfilter
without dump files. Anyway, a (few) filter(s) like 'remove all
descendant files' of SECRET.txt@2589 might be a nice task.

Lieven

Re: Google Summer of Code 2008 mentors needed.

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
Karl Fogel wrote:
> Google Summer of Code 2008 is almost upon us (well, anyway, the
> organization application deadline is almost upon us).
>
> Please follow up here if you are willing, in theory, to be a mentor to a
> student.  Don't worry, you won't be asked to mentor a project that you
> don't feel competent to mentor.  This is just a "willing in principle"
> show of hands.

/me tentatively raises hand.

-Hyrum

Re: Google Summer of Code 2008 mentors needed.

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Karl Fogel wrote:
> Google Summer of Code 2008 is almost upon us (well, anyway, the
> organization application deadline is almost upon us).
>
> Please follow up here if you are willing, in theory, to be a mentor to a
> student.  Don't worry, you won't be asked to mentor a project that you
> don't feel competent to mentor.  This is just a "willing in principle"
> show of hands.

I'm "willing in principle".

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>