Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Christian Gross <Ch...@yahoo.de> on 2001/05/07 06:03:34 UTC

Question about Apache Initialization

Hi

I was looking at the source code and I noticed that in the
initialization of Apache (main.c) the configuration tree is read in
multiple times.  And the configuration directives are executed
multiple times.  Is there a specific reason why?

Christian Gross

Re: Question about Apache Initialization

Posted by "Victor J. Orlikowski" <v....@gte.net>.
Hum.
The config weighting idea was temporarily derailed - other bugs came
up while I was thinking of a clean way to do it.
I'll take care of it shortly.

Victor
--
Victor J. Orlikowski
======================

Re: Question about Apache Initialization

Posted by dean gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
aw you forgot the historical excuse!

we initialise the modules twice so that module authors are forced to make
their modules work across server restarts :)

-dean

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
Yes, there is.  The problem, is that we have to setup some basic
information before we can actually run through the setup.  For example, we
have to actually have the error log from the config file before we
actually start the server.  The goal is to read the config file once, and
walk it twice, but that hasn't happened yet.  Victor Orlikowski had the
idea of weighting config directives, but I don't know where he is with
that yet.

Ryan

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Christian Gross wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was looking at the source code and I noticed that in the
> initialization of Apache (main.c) the configuration tree is read in
> multiple times.  And the configuration directives are executed
> multiple times.  Is there a specific reason why?
>
> Christian Gross

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131