Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Andrea Cosentino <an...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2018/12/11 13:58:56 UTC

[HEADS UP] Work on Apache Camel 3 is beginning

Hello Camelers,

We are starting the work on Apache Camel 3. We are working at multiple levels to improve Camel and introduce new features.

The first work has actually started by Guillaume Nodet in the start of October, where he jump started by cleaning up the codebase, removed deprecated code and components, improving the routing engine and other internals in the core. His work is published on the sandbox/3.x branch. We plan to use his work as the baseline for the actual Camel 3. I have helped by aligning this branch with all the changes from the master branch (2.x) so its fully up to date. The intention is to switch over the sandbox/3.x branch as the new master branch, so we can start working on that branch and being able to add new features, components etc. (as always) for Camel 3.

For 2.x users we will create a 2.x branch where we plan to do 1 or 2 more last 2.x releases, eg 2.24 and 2.25, before 3.0 is ready and released.

Here in the beginning of the Camel 3 work is to continue the work from Guillaume Nodet and finish up the cleanup of the codebase, modularize the camel-core, etc.

We invite community users and any Camel committers and developers who has interest to help with the Camel 3 work. We have talked about doing a number of milestone releases of 3.x that can help give feedback to us quicker and faster. For example any Camel users of 2.x can try to upgrade and use the 3.0 milestone releases to report back their findings.

Over the coming weeks it would be good if we could work on the roadmap and a rough timetable for Camel 3 so we can sketch out the first set of goals for the first milestone release and then rinse and repeat for the upcoming milestone releases.

We have also talked about letting Camel 3 be a timeboxed release to avoid it dragging out “forever”. It would be great if we can build and release Camel 3 within 1 year of development, for example maybe try to aim for a release in Q3 2019.

We will keep the community posted on the progress, and as always we love contribution and any feedback.

Exciting times ahead!

Thoughts?

Claus & Andrea

--
Andrea Cosentino
----------------------------------

Re: [HEADS UP] Work on Apache Camel 3 is beginning

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
+1 to start Camel 3. I'd be happy to join the development.
Let's make it happen by discussion the roadmap first.

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Onder SEZGIN <on...@apache.org>.
Hi,

+1 to website and JDK 11 comptability definitely.
One small note i want to say IMHO, velocity of adoption of new JDK releases
in some corp env is not as fast as JDK releases. I am not saying JDK is
super fast on new deliveries but in corp adoptions are somehow tedious and
not  easy.

it would be good if we have java 8 as the base minimum version.

Thanks,
Önder

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Hi,

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

R: Re: [HEADS UP] Work on Apache Camel 3 is beginning

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Great stuff Zoran! Thanks for this!

Inviato da Yahoo Mail su Android

  Il mar, 11 dic, 2018 alle 15:18, Zoran Regvart<zo...@regvart.com> ha scritto:   Hi Cameleers,

--
Zoran Regvart

Re: [HEADS UP] Work on Apache Camel 3 is beginning

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Cameleers,

--
Zoran Regvart