Posted to dev@openwebbeans.apache.org by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> on 2010/01/14 13:41:06 UTC

[TOMAHAWK] CDI contributions to tomahawk?

Hi folks!

I'm working on the Apache Implementation of JSR-299 OpenWebBeans and I'm looking forward to add more support for JSF-2 via providing portable CDI extensions.

I already implemented an Extension for the javax.faces.beans.ViewScoped in our openwebbeans-jsf module, but honestly think that this is not the right place, because it is really CDI-container independent. Plus, I have a few other ideas which may serve the Apache JSF community.

So, because those extensions are both JSF container independent and also CDI container independent, what about adding them to tomahawk-2 ?

The extensions I have in mind are

1.) moving the CDI support for the @ViewScoped as mentioned above from openwebbeans-jsf to tomahawk.

2.) a new @ViewConversationScoped. Usually @ConversationScoped beans have the same lifecycle as @RequestScoped beans if no Conversation#begin() will get called in an action. Which means that one will always get a fresh instance of a @ConversationScoped bean if e.g. the validation fails before the begin() can be called. The lifecycle of @ViewConversationScoped bean would begin with the first view invocation and end at the end of the request in which the conversation gets closed.

3.) a new @ViewRequestScoped. This is basically the same as @ViewScoped, but the contextual instance will stay available until the end of the request and will not get destroyed after the action continues on a return "nextPage";. This may be tricky if the following view accesses the same bean as the previous view - any suggestions on how this should behave are welcome.

wdyt?

a) is tomahawk the right place (at least for 2 and 3)?
b) would the functionality be useful for JSF-2 developers?

txs and LieGrue,
strub

Re: [TOMAHAWK] CDI contributions to tomahawk?

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
you got me wrong - i didn't suggest to use the stuff of seam...

i also planned to suggest a module which offers portable cdi extensions for
jsf applications (like seam 3).

regards,
gerhard

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
<ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
> as i know the next seam version will provide portable cdi extensions.

lgpl => not suitable :-)

> i also thought about suggesting an extensions module for myfaces which
> provides such portable cdi extensions (for jsf applications).
> so i created [1] to collect some ideas.

Let's do stuff here, in myfaces; would be a nice "cross-community"
effort (OWB meets MyFaces)

-Matthias

> regards,
> gerhard
>
> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/Extensions/CDI/DevDoc/Drafts
> http://www.irian.at
>
> Your JSF powerhouse -
> JSF Consulting, Development and
> Courses in English and German
>
> Professional Support for Apache MyFaces
>

> 2010/1/15 Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>
>>
>> Hey Mark,
>>
>> I created the empty structure:
>> https://svn.apache.org//repos/asf/myfaces/extensions/cdi/
>>
>> regarding the pom.xml "layout", please inherit from MyFaces_version:6:
>>    <parent>
>>        <groupId>org.apache.myfaces</groupId>
>>        <artifactId>myfaces</artifactId>
>>        <version>6</version>
>>    </parent>
>>

>> https://svn.apache.org//repos/asf/myfaces/extensions/validator/trunk/pom.xml
>>

>> Ah, during that I noticed the "scripting" extension is not following
>> that pattern;
>> will fix that soon :-)
>>
>> If you need more, ping us here; Patches are supposed to be submitted
>> against this jira instance,
>> eh... nothing like that is there yet ... Ok.. :-)
>>
>> -Matthias
>>

>> -Matthias
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 7:15 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>
>> wrote:

>> > what name should we use "cdi" or "openwebbeans" ?
>> >
>> > I think that CDI is probably enough..
>> >
>> > https://svn.apache.org//repos/asf/myfaces/extensions/
>> >
>> > We would have a
>> > https://svn.apache.org//repos/asf/myfaces/extensions/cdi
>> > SOON..
>> >
>> > -Matthias

Matthias Wessendorf

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
hi,

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Hey Mark,

I created the empty structure:
https://svn.apache.org//repos/asf/myfaces/extensions/cdi/

regarding the pom.xml "layout", please inherit from MyFaces_version:6:
    <parent>
        <groupId>org.apache.myfaces</groupId>
        <artifactId>myfaces</artifactId>
        <version>6</version>
    </parent>

https://svn.apache.org//repos/asf/myfaces/extensions/validator/trunk/pom.xml

Ah, during that I noticed the "scripting" extension is not following
that pattern;
will fix that soon :-)

If you need more, ping us here; Patches are supposed to be submitted
against this jira instance,
eh... nothing like that is there yet ... Ok.. :-)

-Matthias

-Matthias

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 7:15 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> wrote:
>>> Oki, sounds good to me!
>>>
>>> Which things to start with?
>>>
>>> As I already explained, there may be a few scopes which might ease the life of a JSF developer.
>>>
>>> Another area are interceptors. Doing a @Transactional interceptor is pretty easy. @Secured interceptor? just a few ideas...
>>>
>>> And who is doing the project setup?
>>
>> here; the empty folder structure is enough, right ?
>
> what name should we use "cdi" or "openwebbeans" ?
>
> I think that CDI is probably enough..
>
> https://svn.apache.org//repos/asf/myfaces/extensions/
>
> We would have a
> https://svn.apache.org//repos/asf/myfaces/extensions/cdi
> SOON..
>
> -Matthias
>

>>> txs and LieGrue,
>>> strub

Matthias Wessendorf

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
yes, cdi please, beceause it's really KSR-299 container independent. Otherwise I would check it in to OWB ;)

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> wrote:
>> Oki, sounds good to me!
>>
>> Which things to start with?
>>
>> As I already explained, there may be a few scopes which might ease the life of a JSF developer.
>>
>> Another area are interceptors. Doing a @Transactional interceptor is pretty easy. @Secured interceptor? just a few ideas...
>>
>> And who is doing the project setup?
>
> here; the empty folder structure is enough, right ?

what name should we use "cdi" or "openwebbeans" ?

I think that CDI is probably enough..

https://svn.apache.org//repos/asf/myfaces/extensions/

We would have a
https://svn.apache.org//repos/asf/myfaces/extensions/cdi
SOON..

-Matthias

>> txs and LieGrue,
>> strub

Matthias Wessendorf

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Oki, sounds good to me!
>
> Which things to start with?
>
> As I already explained, there may be a few scopes which might ease the life of a JSF developer.
>
> Another area are interceptors. Doing a @Transactional interceptor is pretty easy. @Secured interceptor? just a few ideas...
>
> And who is doing the project setup?

here; the empty folder structure is enough, right ?

> txs and LieGrue,
> strub

Matthias Wessendorf

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.