Posted to user@impala.apache.org by Peter Horvath <pe...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/27 09:58:10 UTC

Impala State Store and Catalog Service resource requirements

Dear All,

I am in the process of setting up a Hadoop cluster including Impala v2.10.0.

I would like to configure Impala State Store and Catalog Service
appropriately (maybe even on a dedicated host), however I cannot really
find any documentation on the resource needs of these services or any other
best practices regarding the sizing of the host machine.

For example I do not know how much memory or disk space should I reserve
for these services: based on my understanding Impala State Store and
Catalog Service should be of relatively small footprint compared to other
big data components, but I am not sure I would be able make a right
estimation on my own.

Could someone please point me into the right direction?

Thank you,
Peter

Re: Impala State Store and Catalog Service resource requirements

Posted by Peter Horvath <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi Laszlo,

Thank you for you inputs, this was indeed absolutely helpful.

The formula for the Catalog Service is precisely what I have been looking
for:

Catalog memory usage
• Metadata cache heap memory usage can be calculated by
• num of tables * 5KB + num of partitions * 2KB + num of files * 750B + num
of file blocks * 300B + sum(incremental col stats per table)
• Incremental stats
•For each table, num columns * num partitions * 400B

Have you by any chance seen recommendations regarding the hardware
requirements of the statestore?
Is my understanding correct that catalog service and statestore are almost
like shared in-memory caches, where the focus is on memory (and not CPU)?

I would like to get a good understanding of the relative weight of these
components compared to the core impalad daemon.

Once again, thank you very much for you help.

Cheers,
Peter

Posted by Laszlo Gaal <la...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Peter,