Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Mike Smith <mi...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/18 00:37:59 UTC

InternalError response on Hadoop and S3

Sometimes large number of internal errors keeps happening on Amazon S3 which
does not let put command to go through, and it causes failure in
Jets3tFileSystemStore.put(Jets3tFileSystemStore.java:203). I think it would
be great to have an exponential back-off and retry mechanism in put() method
when we get these errors. Here is a sample of the exception that s3 failed
put() causes:

 org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3.S3Exception: org.jets3t.service.S3ServiceException:
S3 PUT failed. XML Error Message: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Error><Code>InternalError</Code><Message>We encountered an internal error.
Please try
again.</Message><RequestId>201316FD</RequestId><HostId>sc5AtWptF6nqAkBzaaTo19oGtz9O</HostId></Error>

        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3.Jets3tFileSystemStore.put(
Jets3tFileSystemStore.java:203)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3.Jets3tFileSystemStore.storeBlock(
Jets3tFileSystemStore.java:212)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3.S3OutputStream.endBlock(
S3OutputStream.java:151)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3.S3OutputStream.close(S3OutputStream.java
:188)
        at java.io.FilterOutputStream.close(FilterOutputStream.java:143)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FSDataOutputStream$Summer.close(
FSDataOutputStream.java:99)
        at java.io.FilterOutputStream.close(FilterOutputStream.java:143)
        at java.io.FilterOutputStream.close(FilterOutputStream.java:143)
        at java.io.FilterOutputStream.close(FilterOutputStream.java:143)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.submitJob(JobClient.java:326)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.runJob(JobClient.java:371)

Thanks, Mike

Re: InternalError response on Hadoop and S3

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for reporting this. I've had a few of these exceptions too.
There's a Jira issue here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-882.

Tom