Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ch Praveena <ps...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/08 09:30:54 UTC

Split-brain problem.

Hi all,

   While going on with Terracotta article,
-- http://www.terracotta.org/confluence/display/explore/How+Terracotta+Works
,
For implementing application server clustering, I found this phrase,
"Split-brain problem."..

Please let me know about this in detail..

Regards,

Praveena Chalamcharla,
Securview....

Re: [users@httpd] Split-brain problem.

Posted by Ch Praveena <ps...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Oscar, for your information.

2008/4/8 Oscar Haeger <os...@sigma.se>:

> Hi.
> Heartbeat is usually a private network between the nodes, used to send
> data about which nodes are alive. You'll want a low latency network for
> this. Google for clusters and heartbeat and you'll find lots of information
> I'm sure.
>
> Clusters can be used as High-Availiblity where server B is indeed just a
> backup, but it can also be used as High-Performance where two or more
> servers share the requests between them. Obviously the performance will
> degrade if parts of that cluster goes down. So yes, B can both be a backup
> and an equally performing server, depending on your setup.
>
> I'm a bit out of my compentence area here as I haven't done webserver
> clustering, but I do believe the general principle is about right. I'm sure
> someone on this list will correct me where I'm wrong.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Oscar
>
> ________________________________

Praveena Chalamcharla,
Securview....

SV: [users@httpd] Split-brain problem.

Posted by Ch Praveena <ps...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Oscar,

Posted by Oscar Haeger <os...@sigma.se>.

Re: Split-brain problem.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Strange. The "To" address on this posting is
"users@httpd.apache.org" (at least in my mail reader...

Praveena,
"Split-brain" refers to a problem in clustering where cluster members
are unable to communicate with each other. If a cluster implementation
doesn't take precautions, you may end up with each of the cluster
members believing that they are the primary member -- thus a split
brain, one side doesn't know what the other is doing...

--kevan

Re: Split-brain problem.

Posted by wes <we...@the-wes.com>.
Anything can cause a netsplit. Anything that makes the 2 sets of servers
lose connection to each other will cause a netsplit. Dead router, cut wire,
power outage, configuration changes, any number of things.

What I don't understand is, if there's a netsplit, the servers on the other
side should be "unreachable" to the load balancer, and thus should not have
any more requests directed to them until they become reachable again.

-wes

Re: Split-brain problem.

Posted by Ch Praveena <ps...@gmail.com>.
Thankyou Marcus,
But let me know the reasons for the occurence of the Netsplit, which lead
Split brain problem.

2008/4/8 Marcus Franke <mf...@evendi.de>:

> On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 01:00:54PM +0530, Ch Praveena wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> >    While going on with Terracotta article,
> > --
> http://www.terracotta.org/confluence/display/explore/How+Terracotta+Works
> > ,
> > For implementing application server clustering, I found this phrase,
> > "Split-brain problem."..
> >
> > Please let me know about this in detail..
> >

> Easy,
>
> if you have a cluster of 4 nodes, and you have a netsplit, you'll end with
> two clusters with two nodes. Split brain problem is that both parts are
> equal in size, so how can the software decide, which side is the correct
> one and which nodes shall drop dead and restart?
>
> Because of this you may want an uneven number of nodes in your cluster.
> This
> way you cannot have a split'ed cluster with equal numbers of nodes on each
> side.
>

> regards,
> Marcus

Praveena Chalamcharla,
Securview....

Re: Split-brain problem.

Posted by Marcus Franke <mf...@evendi.de>.

Re: Split-brain problem.

Posted by Jason Warner <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Praveena,

Terracotta is actually a completely separate project.  If you have questions
regarding their documentation, I suggest asking on the Terracotta user lists
or on their IRC channel, both of which can be found using the documentation
on their website, www.terracotta.org.

Thanks!

--
~Jason Warner

Re: Split-brain problem.

Posted by SriSri <sr...@gmail.com>.
Split-Brain in that context might have meant that the individual cluster app
server is good enough to serve all the requests.

Posted by Nils Jeppe <ni...@pandemonium.de>.
On 08.04.2008, at 09:30, Ch Praveena wrote:
>    While going on with Terracotta article,
> -- http://www.terracotta.org/confluence/display/explore/How+Terracotta+Works
> ,
> For implementing application server clustering, I found this phrase,
> "Split-brain problem."..
>
> Please let me know about this in detail..

Split brain refers to the problem where you have two equal servers,
and a problem occurs that causes the state to diverge between the two.
The cluster won't be able to decide on its own which version of the
state is "correct". One solution would be to employ at least three
systems and have them go by a majority decision. It's really more an
application / database problem that transcends Apache.

Best wishes
Nils