Posted to users@isis.apache.org by David Soff <da...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/16 17:19:35 UTC

Production questions

Hello,

I am investigating apache Isis for my next project and am enjoying it very
much.
I do however have a few questions about production use.

- Are database migrations done automagically or should we create our own
migration scripts?

- Will Isis always rebuild the database on restart or is this just for
development/prototyping mode?

- Is it possible to help with Isis documentation? Right now there are a lot
of sections marked with TODO. Which I feel is a big turnoff for people who
want to do a quick experiment with Isis

Thanks for your time and I am looking forward to your replies

Re: Production questions

Posted by Jeroen van der Wal <je...@stromboli.it>.
Schema validation and creation can be configured in
persistor_datanucleus.properties [1]. It can be executed in both production
and development mode and also works on an existing database. It will only
append schema changes so it wil never delete or rename columns or tables.
You will have to do some manual conversion if required.

[1]
http://www.datanucleus.org/products/accessplatform/persistence_properties.html#schema

Re: Production questions

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
Hi David,

Nice to hear you're enjoying using Apache Isis; and welcome to the mailing
list.

Not much to add to Jorg's answer, just a few clarifications:

- re DB migration, we have thought of integrating with flyway [1], but
actually I think you could just use it "as is", perhaps wrap it in a simple
@DomainService to perform seeding?

- the DB rebuild is as Jorg says; ultimately though it is controlled by the
DN properties, which live in persistor_datanucleus.properties.  See DN docs
for more info [2]

- for Isis docs, I would *love* some contributions.  The refs that Jorg
gave are slightly incorrect; see the contributors guide, in particular [3];
info on our Ascii docs can be found in [4], [5]

Cheers
Dan

[1] https://flywaydb.org/
[2]