Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2008/01/19 10:14:09 UTC

µsling is dead - long live the Sling Launchpad!

Hi,

Don't you love those catchy subject lines? ;-)

Seeing how µsling evolves with SLING-149, I'm about ready to drop the
µsling name (as suggested by Carsten a while ago) in favor of "The
Sling Launchpad".

Suggested marketing blurb:

***
The Sling Launchpad is a ready-to-run Sling configuration, providing
an embedded JCR content repository and web server, a selection of
Sling components, and documentation and examples. The Launchpad makes
it easy to get started with Sling and to develop script-based
applications.

Fifteen minutes should be enough to get started with Sling using the
Launchpad, yet the full functionality of Sling is available by loading
additional Sling (or custom) OSGi modules as needed, using Sling's
web-based OSGi management console.
***

I think Carsten was right: this would better describe what µsling is
becoming due to being merged with Sling. There's almost no
µsling-specific code left, so µsling is really "just" a specific
configuration of Sling. Having a different name might lead to
confusion as to whether there are two products or not, and as to
whether µsling is the "real thing" or not.

So, I suggest renaming what comes out of SLING-149 "the Sling
Launchpad", and take it from there.

WDYT?

-Bertrand

Re: µsling is dead - long live the Sling Launchpad!

Posted by "Padraic I. Hannon" <pi...@wasabicowboy.com>.
+1 sounds good to me, and avoids some of the msling confusion.

Re: µsling is dead - long live the Sling Launchpad!

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
+1 (of course) :)

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: µsling is dead - long live the Sling Launchpad!

Posted by paksegu <pa...@yahoo.com>.
I will agree as to not creating any confusion or having usling in a different scope. Sling launchpad is catchy and it forms the basis ( sort of like a foundation sling bundles are built upon depending on needs) of Sling. Good move

Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:  Hi,

[...]

Ransford Segu-Baffoe

paksegu@yahoo.com

https://serenade.dev.java.net/