Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Prescott Nasser <pr...@hotmail.com> on 2016/10/21 19:03:08 UTC

RE: [NuGet Gallery] Message for owners of the package 'Lucene.Net'

We’re actively working towards a 4.8 release. Check it out:

https://www.myget.org/gallery/lucene-net

Best
~Prescott

Posted by Shad Storhaug <sh...@shadstorhaug.com>.
Hello Alexander,

Thank you for your interest in Lucene.Net. As Prescott mentioned, we are currently working toward an updated, more stable, and more fully featured 4.8.0 release. You can see a breakdown of what is left to do here: http://apache.markmail.org/search/?q=lucenenet+list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.lucene-net-dev+priorities#query:lucenenet%20list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.lucene-net-dev%20priorities+page:1+mid:64xvjbi75oypbfxb+state:results

Lucene.Net 4.8.0 is at least 10x as much code as Lucene.Net 3.0.3. There are a lot of great new features, but it is also a lot more of an effort to finish it.

I have personally been working full-time on Lucene.Net for the past 3 months, and on my local branch (which I hope to push in the next day or so) I have all of the Lucene.Net.Core tests fully ported and have it down to 21 failing (out of nearly 3000), and only 5 other failing tests in the entire solution (out of over 5000).  We have about 75-80% of the entire project ported and all but a few (Spatial, Highlighter, QueryParser.Flexible, Grouping, Analysis.Collation) of the highest priority sections are complete, that is, we have about 90% the sections ported that we need for an official release.

Although those on the team have made some significant headway toward release, it would be a lot easier if there were more hands on more keyboards working to complete it. I am not talking about more people working full-time (although that would be nice), but just an hour here or perhaps a weekend there from a few people to get us through the goal posts. While it would be great if someone could help with the port of the remaining sections, it would also be a huge help if there were someone just comparing code files to Lucene 4.8.0 and pointing out anything that looks "off" (that isn't already commented with a LUCENENET TODO). Or if there were someone willing to step up and help make the license headers consistent or to update and fix up the documentation comments, it all gets us closer to release.

We also have other goals - to name some, switching the testing framework from NUnit to xUnit, getting the whole project to be compatible with .NET Core, cleaning up and .NETifying the public API, finishing up all of those LUCENENET TODOs I mentioned - that would move a lot faster if we had more help.

If interested, please join the dev mailing list dev-subscribe@lucenenet.apache.org, checkout the contributing section: https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md, and coordinate with a PMC member on the dev mailing list to state what you want to work on to avoid work duplication with other team members.

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)

________________________________

Posted by Shad Storhaug <sh...@shadstorhaug.com>.
Hi Alex,

We have had similar reports of certain environments not being able to deal with ICU4NET. Basically, to fix this right we need to port over the BreakIterator, RuleBasedCollator, and dependencies from the JDK. As a shortcut ICU4NET (which has a working BreakIterator) was referenced to try to avoid some of this extra porting work. However, it is clear now that this solution isn't going to work for the long term.

We are considering options - and one option is to just remove Analysis.Th and the SegmentingTokenizerBase from Analysis.Common and putting Thai support into its own NuGet package, since those are the only parts of Analysis.Common that actually depend on ICU4NET.

So for the time being the known options you have to resolve this are:

1. Remove the Analysis.Common reference from your project if it is not absolutely required.
2. Fork the project and make your own Analysis.Common build that doesn't include Analysis.Th, Analysis.Util.SegmentingTokenizerBase, or the reference to ICU4NET.
3. Help us out by porting over the BreakIterator from the JDK, which will resolve the issue permanently (and consider porting the related Collator classes which have common dependencies to BreakIterator). Do note we will also need BreakIterator for Lucene.Net.Highlighter (which affects more than just Thai support).
4. Wait for us to port BreakIterator or come up with an alternative solution (which might take some time to do).

There might be other options - you might also want query Google about using ICU4NET in an IIS hosted application, or perhaps something more general about having a dependency with ICU4NET's particular architecture (not sure what that is, exactly).

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)

Posted by "alexander1967muc@hotmail.com" <al...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Pescott,

I figured it out - and am sorry to say that it was a really studpid mistake on my behalf.

I forgot to delete my old 3.03. index....

My test-harness and unit tests always create a new index.

My WCF-Service uses it own index which I simply had to delete and recreate.

Now it works.

I guess the error-message was misleading me.

Very sorry to have bothered you with this!

And thanks for your time!

Regards

Alexander

P.S. Any idea when QueryParser will be available?

Posted by Prescott Nasser <pr...@hotmail.com>.
Hey Alex -