Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "G. Wade Johnson" <wa...@abbnm.com> on 2003/08/14 16:56:03 UTC

Does load balancing with sticky sessions work with mod_jk?

Has anyone gotten load balancing with stick sessions working with
Apache 1.3.* and mod_jk?

G. Wade

Re: Does load balancing with sticky sessions work with mod_jk? - SOLVED

Posted by "G. Wade Johnson" <wa...@abbnm.com>.
I've been digging around in the source for Tomcat 4.1.27, and this is
what I've found.

The problem I've had with not being able to get load balancing to work
in my application is a problem with Basic Authentication. Since Basic
authentication never sends a JSESSIONID cookie, the jvmRoute is never
available to mod_jk.

This issue was obscured by the fact that I was using the SingleSignOn
valve. This facility creates its own cookie JSESSIONIDSSO. This
cookie also doesn't have the jvrRoute attached and that sent me on a
wild goose chase through the wrong code.

I've reworked my app to support FORM authentication even thought this
requires a form for each servlet context and extra JkMount points.

Thanks to Chris Daniluk for setting me on the right track.

G. Wade

Posted by "G. Wade Johnson" <wa...@abbnm.com>.

Posted by "G. Wade Johnson" <wa...@abbnm.com>.
Chris,

Posted by "G. Wade Johnson" <wa...@abbnm.com>.
Chris,

Posted by "G. Wade Johnson" <wa...@abbnm.com>.

Posted by "G. Wade Johnson" <wa...@abbnm.com>.
I'll attempt the compile.

I did verify that the worker names in workers.properties and jvmRoute
do match.

Thanks again.
G. Wade

Posted by "G. Wade Johnson" <wa...@abbnm.com>.