Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gary Yang <ga...@yahoo.com> on 2009/02/04 20:27:56 UTC

[users@httpd] Cannot see certain directory in my browser after added the Access Control to it. Please help.

Hi,
I cannot see certain directory in my browser after I added the Access Control to it. Please help.
I placed my Release directory at DocumentRoot, /apache-httpd/htdocs. There is no index.html at DocumentRoot.I can see the list of directories and files in my browser under Release directory.

I followed the instructions, “Authentication, Authorization and Access Control” (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/auth.html) to protect certain directory. My purpose is, users need to enter his/her ID and Password at certain directory when they browse my releases. Below are my configurations.

In httpd.conf

<Directory "/apache-httpd/htdocs">
    AllowOverride AuthConfig
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

I want user, customer to enter ID and PW when he/she browse the directory, Release/Eeace. I added .htaccess in the directory Eeace.

In /apache-httpd/htdocs/Release/Eeace/.htaccess

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Restricted Files"
AuthBasicProvider file
AuthUserFile /apache-httpd/passwd/passwords
Require user customer

However, I cannot see the directory Release/Eeace after I restarted the apache.
I can see it if I removed the line, Require user customer. But, there is no pop up to ask me to enter ID and PW.

Can someone tell me how to fix it? I use apache 2.2.11.

Thank you.

Re: [users@httpd] Cannot see certain directory in my browser after added the Access Control to it. Please help.

Posted by Gary Yang <ga...@yahoo.com>.
Eric,