Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Arun Jain <ja...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/07 03:02:26 UTC

[users@httpd] 403 error for index.html

Hello Group,

I installed Apache 2.2.3 on my Windows machine.  And I can see my Apache
server icon, and in services
I see as started.

Very first time when I tried to look at index.html by typing

localhost/
or
my machine's IP address

it gives following errors.

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
Internet Explorer

Could someone tell me what do I need to do extra to get my server see my
very first page.

Thanks.

nagrik

Re: [users@httpd] 403 error for index.html

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 11/7/06, Arun Jain <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is the error log message
>
> [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: C:/Program
> Files/Apache Software
> Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs/index.html

You have a Deny directive someplace in your httpd.conf that prevents
access to this file.  The default config file has something like

<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs/>
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

But perhaps you removed this at some point.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] 403 error for index.html

Posted by Arun Jain <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 11/6/06, Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:

> On 11/6/06, Arun Jain <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello Group,
> >
> > I installed Apache 2.2.3 on my Windows machine.  And I can see my Apache
> > server icon, and in services
> > I see as started.
> >
> > Very first time when I tried to look at index.html by typing
> >
> > localhost/
> > or
> > my machine's IP address
> >
> > it gives following errors.
> >
> > HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
> > Internet Explorer
> >
> > Could someone tell me what do I need to do extra to get my server see my
> > very first page.
>
> Start by looking in the apache error log.
>
> Joshua.

Joshua,

I have downloaded another http server, which works from command
line and I can access the same page for which I denied access by
Apache 2.2.3 server.  It seems I am missing some configuration
parameters.  Can someone help please.

Here is the error log message

*[error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration:
C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs/index.html*
**
And here is the configuration information.

*<IfModule dir_module>
    DirectoryIndex index.html
</IfModule>*
**
*Should I change dir_module to C:\.....\htdocs.  Will that help?*

**
*Thanks  in advance.*
**
*nagrik

*

Re: [users@httpd] 403 error for index.html

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Peter Winch <p_...@yahoo.com>.
Check your DirectoryIndex index.htm index.html index.html.var in the httpd file.

Arun Jain <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:    Hello Group,

  I installed Apache 2.2.3 on my Windows machine.  And I can see my Apache server icon, and in services
  I see as started.

  Very first time when I tried to look at index.html by typing

  localhost/
  or
  my machine's IP address

  it gives following errors.

  HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
Internet Explorer

  Could someone tell me what do I need to do extra to get my server see my very first page.

  Thanks.

  nagrik

Sponsored Link

For just $24.99/mo., Vonage offers unlimited local and long- distance calling. Sign up now.