Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by ch...@zv.fraunhofer.de on 2015/12/15 13:28:55 UTC

VMware Storage DRS

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if ccp supports the storage DRS feature of VMware vsphere.
In the docs I was able to find out that the vm DRS is supported, what means that VMware can move vms to different hosts and ccp is aware of the changes.
Is ccp also aware when VMware migrates a vm disk volume to another primary storage?

Kind Regards
Christian

Re: VMware Storage DRS

Posted by ch...@zv.fraunhofer.de.
Hi René,

alright, thanks for all the information.

Regards
Christian

Re: VMware Storage DRS

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.
On 12/17/2015 03:15 PM, christian.kirmse@zv.fraunhofer.de wrote:
>> On 12/15/2015 03:19 PM, Rene Moser wrote:
>>> VR will be rebooted every time a host migration occurred
>
> Does this only applie for migrations via DRS or are migrations via the cs gui “migrate instance to another host” button also affected?

Only DRS (or so called out-of-band migrations)

- Migrating using the UI (API) does work like a charm for any VM
including virtual routers.
- DRS for user VMs, works like a charm
- DRS for virtual routers will work with 4.5.3.

What we currently do, we look at the host and migrate any router by the
API, then we set the host in maintenance in VMware, when all is
migrated, we set the host in maintenance by CloudStack.

Regards
René

Re: VMware Storage DRS

Posted by ch...@zv.fraunhofer.de.
Hi René,

thanks for your quick reply.

> On 12/15/2015 03:19 PM, Rene Moser wrote:
>> VR will be rebooted every time a host migration occurred

Does this only applie for migrations via DRS or are migrations via the cs gui “migrate instance to another host” button also affected?

Kind regards
Christian

Re: VMware Storage DRS

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.
correction

On 12/15/2015 03:19 PM, Rene Moser wrote:
> VR will be rebooted every time a host migration occurred >= ACS 4.5.3.

< ACS 4.5.3.

Re: VMware Storage DRS

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.
Hi Christian

No. not supported yet.

Please be aware of issues with VM DRS before cloudstack 4.6 / 4.5.3
(unreleased), regarding advanced networing with virtual router system VM.

VR will be rebooted every time a host migration occurred >= ACS 4.5.3.

Yours
René