Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Ying Wen Z Zhang <zy...@cn.ibm.com> on 2013/07/09 15:47:29 UTC

About Changing Password Encryption Algorithm for Jetspeed Portal

Dear,

I met problem when I try to change Password Encryption Algorithm of
Jetspeed Portal, the version of the Jetspeed I am using is Jetspeed 2.2.2

Can you tell me the exact procedure of how to override the password
encoding algorithm?

These are the procedures I have tried, but Jetspeed doesn't change its
behavior.

1. modify security-spi.xml(webapps\jetspeed\WEB-INF\assembly)
change the constructor value from SHA-1 to MD5

  <bean id="org.apache.jetspeed.security.CredentialPasswordEncoder"

class="org.apache.jetspeed.security.spi.impl.MessageDigestCredentialPasswordEncoder">
    <constructor-arg index="0">
      <value>MD5</value>
    </constructor-arg>
  </bean>
2.modify security-spi-atn.xml(webapps\jetspeed\WEB-INF\assembly), change
the constructor value from SHA-1 to MD5
 <bean id="org.apache.jetspeed.security.spi.CredentialPasswordEncoder"

class="org.apache.jetspeed.security.spi.impl.MessageDigestCredentialPasswordEncoder">
    <constructor-arg index="0">
      <value>MD5</value>
    </constructor-arg>
  </bean>

3. restart jetspeed server, create a new user as admin, login as a new
user, load a portlet application that use jetspeed user manager service to
retreive the encrypted password, it seems that the newly created user's
password is still encrypted by SHA-1

4. What I really want is to override the credential password encoder
implementation to use our own encryption algorithm.

Then I try to write a new password encoding class that implements
CredentialPasswordEncoder,
(See attached file: SHA256PasswordEncoder.java)(I package the program to
jar file under webapps\jetspeed\WEB-INF\lib )
and I change the name of the class from
org.apache.jetspeed.security.spi.impl.MessageDigestCredentialPasswordEncoder
 to my encoding class, restart the server, the encryption algorithm also
didn't change.

5.I also tried to create a xml file in the override folder to override the
bean

<beans xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans" xmlns:xsi="
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans/spring-beans-2.5.xsd">
<bean id="org.apache.jetspeed.security.spi.CredentialPasswordEncoder"
    class="com.ibm.gbsc.arema.security.SHA256PasswordEncoder">

  </bean>
  </beans>

it also failed in changing the encoding behavior.

Can you give me some suggestions? I will be greatly appreciated of your
help, since this solution is very crucial to our project.

 Best regards,

 Ying Wen Zhang
 GBSC
 Software Engineer
                                      GBS Solutions and Assets
                                                                        isg

 Office Phone: +86 10-8245-1193
 Mobile: 15210895280
 Email: zyingwen@cn.ibm.com
                                      gbscbrandcolor
                                                                     Visit:
                                                                        GBS
                                                                   Solution
                                                                       Maps

Re: About Changing Password Encryption Algorithm for Jetspeed Portal

Posted by David Taylor <da...@gmail.com>.
Can you try overriding two beans with your class (*SHA256PasswordEncoder)
as follows. You can do this in a 'override' new xml file placed in
overrides directory, you don't actually have to edit security-spi.xml and
security-spi-atn.xml*....

1. security-spi.xml

<bean id="org.apache.jetspeed.security.CredentialPasswordEncoder"
    class="com.ibm.gbsc.arema.security.">
  </bean>

2. security-spi-atn.xml

  <!-- MessageDigest encode passwords using SHA-1 -->
  <bean id="org.apache.jetspeed.security.spi.CredentialPasswordEncoder"
    class="com.ibm.gbsc.arema.security.SHA256PasswordEncoder">
  </bean>

And then restart and see if that works.

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 6:47 AM, Ying Wen Z Zhang <zy...@cn.ibm.com>wrote:

> [...]
> to my encoding class, restart the server, the encryption algorithm also
> didn't change.
>
> 5.I also tried to create a xml file in the override folder to override the
> bean
>
> <beans xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans" xmlns:xsi="
> http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>   xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans
> http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans/spring-beans-2.5.xsd">
> <bean id="org.apache.jetspeed.security.spi.CredentialPasswordEncoder"
>     class="com.ibm.gbsc.arema.security.SHA256PasswordEncoder">
>
>   </bean>
>   </beans>
>
> it also failed in changing the encoding behavior.
>
> Can you give me some suggestions? I will be greatly appreciated of your
> help, since this solution is very crucial to our project.

David