Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jonathan Eric Miller <je...@uchicago.edu> on 2001/09/15 05:28:31 UTC

Possible to import SSL private/public key pair from Apache into Tomcat?

This question is kind of about Tomcat, but, also to some extent about
keytool and SSL in general.

I've been running Apache Web Server 1.3.x as a Web server with JRun as a
Java Servlet engine in our production environment. I have SSL enabled on the
Apache Web Server and I have the certificate signed by Verisign which I paid
$$$ for.

What I want to do now is to switch to using Tomcat in standalone mode. I
have this up and running no problem. I was able to generate a private key
and then sign that with a test CA that I have. The steps to do this are to
run keytool with -genkey, then -certreq, and then -import.

However, I want to import the private/public key pair from Apache Web Server
into my Java keystore. Does anyone know if this is possible? As far as I can
tell, there is no way to import a private key. I wonder if I send Verisign a
certificate request that I generated from Tomcat, if they will make me buy
another certificate (even though it's for use on the same server and will
replace the original certificate)?

Jon

Re: Possible to import SSL private/public key pair from Apache into Tomcat?

Posted by Jonathan Eric Miller <je...@uchicago.edu>.
Thanks, Ricardo, I'll check it out and give it a try.

Jon

Posted by Ricardo <bo...@si.uji.es>.