Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Sonal Goyal <so...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/07 20:06:42 UTC

Dataset comparison and ranking - views

Hi,

I am working on a problem to compare two different datasets, and rank each
record of the first with respect to the other, in terms of how similar they
are. The records are dimensional, but do not have a lot of dimensions. Some
of the fields will be compared for exact matches, some for similar sound,
some with closest match etc. One of the datasets is large, and the other is
much smaller.  The final goal is to compute a rank between each record of
first dataset with each record of the second. The rank is based on weighted
scores of each dimension comparison.

I was wondering if people in the community have any advice/suggested
patterns/thoughts about cross joining two datasets in map reduce. Do let me
know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks and Regards,
Sonal
<https://github.com/sonalgoyal/hiho>Hadoop ETL and Data
Integration<https://github.com/sonalgoyal/hiho>

<http://in.linkedin.com/in/sonalgoyal>

Re: Dataset comparison and ranking - views

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
The Mahout project has several tools for this class of problem.
http://mahout.apache.org

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Dataset comparison and ranking - views

Posted by Chase Bradford <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.
On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 10:51 +0530, Sonal Goyal wrote:
> Hi Marcos,
>
> Thanks for replying. I think I was not very clear in my last post. Let
> me describe my use case in detail.
>
> I have two datasets coming from different sources, lets call them
> dataset1 and dataset2. Both of them contain records for entities, say
> Person. A single record looks like:
>
> First Name Last Name,  Street, City, State,Zip
>
> We want to compare each record of dataset1 with each record of
> dataset2, in effect a cross join.
>
> We know that the way data is collected, names will not match exactly,
> but we want to find close enoughs. So we have a rule which says create
> bigrams and find the matching bigrams. If 0 to 5 match, give a score
> of 10, if 5-15 match, give a score of 20 and so on.
Well, a approach for this problem has a solution given by Milind
Bhandarkar, on his presentation called "Practical Problem Solving with
Hadoop and Pig".
He talk about a solution for Bigrams giving a example with word
matching.
Bigrams
========

Input: A large text corpus
• Output: List(word , Top (word ))
• Two Stages:
• Generate all possible bigrams
• Find most frequent K bigrams for each word

Bigrams: Stage 1
Map
===
• Generate all possible Bigrams
• Map Input: Large text corpus
• Map computation
• In each sentence, or each “word word ”
• Output (word , word ), (word , word )
• Partition & Sort by (word , word )

pairs.pl
--------
while(<STDIN>) {
chomp;
$_ =~ s/[^a-zA-Z]+/ /g ;
$_ =~ s/^\s+//g ;
$_ =~ s/\s+$//g ;
$_ =~ tr/A-Z/a-z/;
my @words = split(/\s+/, $_);
for (my $i = 0; $i < $#words - 1; ++$i) {
print "$words[$i]:$words[$i+1]\n";
print "$words[$i+1]:$words[$i]\n";
}
}

Bigrams: Stage 1
Reduce
======
• Input: List(word , word ) sorted and partitioned
• Output: List(word , [freq, word ])
• Counting similar to Unigrams example

count.pl
--------

$_ = <STDIN>; chomp;
my ($pw1, $pw2) = split(/:/, $_);
$count = 1;
while(<STDIN>) {
chomp;
my ($w1, $w2) = split(/:/, $_);
if ($w1 eq $pw1 && $w2 eq $pw2) {
$count++;
} else {
print "$pw1:$count:$pw2\n";
$pw1 = $w1;
$pw2 = $w2;
$count = 1;
}
}
print "$pw1:$count:$pw2\n";

Bigrams: Stage 2
Map
===
• Input: List(word , [freq,word ])
• Output: List(word , [freq, word ])
• Identity Mapper (/bin/cat)
• Partition by word
• Sort descending by (word , freq)

Bigrams: Stage 2
Reduce
======
• Input: List(word , [freq,word ])
• partitioned by word
• sorted descending by (word , freq)
• Output: Top (List(word , [freq, word ]))
• For each word, throw away after K records

firstN.pl
$N = 5;
$_ = <STDIN>; chomp;
my ($pw1, $count, $pw2) = split(/:/, $_);
$idx = 1;
$out = "$pw1\t$pw2,$count;";
while(<STDIN>) {
chomp;
my ($w1, $c, $w2) = split(/:/, $_);
if ($w1 eq $pw1) {
if ($idx < $N) {
$out .= "$w2,$c;";
$idx++;
}
} else {
print "$out\n";
$pw1 = $w1;
$idx = 1;
$out = "$pw1\t$w2,$c;";
}
}
print "$out\n";

You can translate this approach to your especific problem.
I recommend you that you discuss this with him because he has a vast
experience with all this, much more than me.

Regards

Posted by Sonal Goyal <so...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marcos,

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.