Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2007/12/19 14:57:47 UTC

[GUIDANCE] When should we start to follow new incubator policy on where to post releases?

Apache UIMA just passed its release vote; where should we post the release?

A recent change to the incubator policy resulted in the page
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html saying
that  distributions *must* be from www.a.o/dist/incubator/<podling-name>.

The www.a.o/dist site on people.a.o doesn't have an incubator
subdirectory.  So it looks like we might be the first incubator project
since this policy was enacted., unless implementation of this policy is
being delayed.  Can someone on the IPMC let us know if the
implementation is being delayed?

Assuming we should be following this new policy now, should we ask infra
to establish the new dist/incubator directory and also ...
/dist/incubator/uima (or do we have the karma to do this ourselves)?

If we do this, because things posted here are mirrored, as I understand
it, we need to update our download page to properly handle directing
downloaders to the mirrors.  Some of us have read the docs on how to do
this, and we can give it a go - but we would appreciate some oversight
by an experienced person :-).  Any volunteers?

The policy page doesn't say what, if anything, we need to do at this
time for our previous releases - my preference would be to just leave
things as they are, for now, for those.  Is this OK?

-Marshall

Re: [GUIDANCE] When should we start to follow new incubator policy on where to post releases?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 19, 2007 1:57 PM, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:
> Apache UIMA just passed its release vote; where should we post the release?
>
> A recent change to the incubator policy resulted in the page
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html saying
> that  distributions *must* be from www.a.o/dist/incubator/<podling-name>.
>
> The www.a.o/dist site on people.a.o doesn't have an incubator
> subdirectory.  So it looks like we might be the first incubator project
> since this policy was enacted., unless implementation of this policy is
> being delayed.  Can someone on the IPMC let us know if the
> implementation is being delayed?

no - it's just that i hadn't managed to find the cycles. i take a look
at this tonight.

> Assuming we should be following this new policy now, should we ask infra
> to establish the new dist/incubator directory and also ...
> /dist/incubator/uima (or do we have the karma to do this ourselves)?

i have some concerns over permissions so i'd like to chat to the
infrastructure team before jumping in on this one

i'm going to head over to the infrastructure channel on IRC. anyone
who's interested is welcome to join me.

> If we do this, because things posted here are mirrored, as I understand
> it, we need to update our download page to properly handle directing
> downloaders to the mirrors.  Some of us have read the docs on how to do
> this, and we can give it a go - but we would appreciate some oversight
> by an experienced person :-).  Any volunteers?

i will. look out for a post on the UIMA dev list.

> The policy page doesn't say what, if anything, we need to do at this
> time for our previous releases - my preference would be to just leave
> things as they are, for now, for those.  Is this OK?

these need to be archived. apache has special arrangements that ensure
that archived releases will remain available. i need to chat to
infrastructure but my gut feeling is that it would be better to
archive them straightaway and save the strain on the mirrors. again,
probably best to discuss this on IRC.

- robert