Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Chris Nigh <cn...@equinix.com.INVALID> on 2023/03/27 23:38:17 UTC

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Guacamole connection opened new tab

Hi Nick,

I narrowed down my issue but can’t understand why it’s happening.

With the reverse proxy, I was adding several security headers on the requests.  When I removed the ‘X-Frame-Options: DENY’ header, I no longer had issues with launching the connection links in a new tab.  Changing it to ‘X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN’ also allows the client to load correctly.  It appeared that the blank.html was getting blocked from being loaded (not sure how I missed this the other times I was troubleshooting).

Any idea why the client doesn’t use frames one just clicking the connection link on the home controller but would require frames when launching it in a new tab?

Thanks,
-Chris

From: Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>
Date: Thursday, March 2, 2023 at 11:17 AM
To: user@guacamole.apache.org <us...@guacamole.apache.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Guacamole connection opened new tab
On Thu, Mar 2, 2023 at 9:36 AM Chris Nigh <cn...@equinix.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I was testing out Guac v1.4.0 with my users and they mentioned issues when trying to launch a new connection from the home screen into a new browser tab (right click -> open in new tab).  In the new tab, the user only gets a blank black screen.
>

> From my experience it works in v1.3.0 but does not work on v1.4.0, v1.5.0, or the dev image.  I tested it out in Firefox and Google Chrome had similar results.  From the browser developer tools, it looks like the Guacamole client is making repeated HEAD requests of /guacamole/api/session every 15 seconds.  There are no websocket requests in the new tab and the Fetch/XHR requests are:
>
> /guacamole/api/languages
> /guacamole/api/patches
> /guacamole/api/tokens
> /guacamole/translations/en.json
> /guacamole/api/session/data/mysql/connections/1
> /guacamole/api/session/data/mysql/connectionGroups/ROOT/tree
> /guacamole/api/session/data/mysql-shared/connectionGroups/ROOT/tree
> /guacamole/api/session/data/mysql/self/effectivePermissions
> /guacamole/api/session/data/mysql-shared/self/effectivePermissions
> (delay 15 seconds) /guacamole/api/session
> (delay another 15 seconds) /guacamole/api/session…
>

> My environment is docker based with a traefik reverse proxy in front of it using SSO and a mysql database store.  For the tests, I used the base docker images of Guacamole from dockerhub.
>

> Any chance you’ve seen this behavior?

I just tried in my environment, currently (still) running 1.4.0, and I
can open connections in a new tab without any issue at all. I'm not
running Docker, I have it installed natively, but am using Nginx in
front of it as a reverse proxy. I've never used Traefik, so not
familiar with it as a reverse proxy.

-Nick

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Guacamole connection opened new tab

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 7:38 PM Chris Nigh <cn...@equinix.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>

> I narrowed down my issue but can’t understand why it’s happening.
>

> With the reverse proxy, I was adding several security headers on the requests.  When I removed the ‘X-Frame-Options: DENY’ header, I no longer had issues with launching the connection links in a new tab.  Changing it to ‘X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN’ also allows the client to load correctly.  It appeared that the blank.html was getting blocked from being loaded (not sure how I missed this the other times I was troubleshooting).
>

> Any idea why the client doesn’t use frames one just clicking the connection link on the home controller but would require frames when launching it in a new tab?

Off the top of my head, no, I've no idea why this would be required.
My -guess- is that something about opening a link in a new tab
triggers the same X-Frame-Options handlers within the browser as
generating a new frame within the page, but I don't know why.

-Nick