Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Case Torres <Ca...@casetorrestech.com> on 2007/04/02 04:35:04 UTC

Any small manufacturers using OFBiz?

Hello All,

We are a very small manufacturing business (< 20 employees). We are
currently evaluating OFBiz and are seriously considering adopting OFBiz as
our company wide ERP solution. It would be very helpful to talk with any
small manufacturing companies who have adopted OFBiz as an ERP solution to
find out what in the application works for you and what doesn't as well as
what, if any, changes you might have made to OFBiz to better suit your
business needs.

Please point me in the right direction if this is not the right place to
post a message of this kind.

TIA,

Case Torres

case@casetorrestech.com

Quantum Composers, Inc.

http://www.quantumcomposers.com

Re: Any small manufacturers using OFBiz?

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Apr 2, 2007, at 5:17 PM, Case Torres wrote:

> My question to the group is how long it takes to get on board with
> ofbiz to
> be able to make minimal add a field to the GUI type changes as well
> as more
> significant changes to meet the uniqueness of our business? Also, what
> technologies do I need to be proficient in? I have a C.S. in Computer
> Science and have been working with open source technologies for
> about 10
> years. I have no Java experience but am willing to learn.

A good place to get an intro to the OFBiz framework is here:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Framework+Introduction+Videos
+and+Diagrams

I recommend watching all of these, but to get an idea of simple
changes check out the "Doing Some Simple Changes" video.

-David

RE: Any small manufacturers using OFBiz?

Posted by Case Torres <Ca...@casetorrestech.com>.
Thanks Walter for you quick and detailed reply. We are a small company but
poised to grow very rapidly this year. We are looking for a solution that we
can use for the next 5+ years. Our minimum requirements are the following
modules:
ARAP module, Order Entry, Procurement, Service/Support Issue creation and
tracking, CRM, Project Management, and Inventory Tracking module.

We'd like the ability to change/customize the Accounting module to provide
for a Throughput accounting method vs. a Cost accounting method.

My question to the group is how long it takes to get on board with ofbiz to
be able to make minimal add a field to the GUI type changes as well as more
significant changes to meet the uniqueness of our business? Also, what
technologies do I need to be proficient in? I have a C.S. in Computer
Science and have been working with open source technologies for about 10
years. I have no Java experience but am willing to learn.

Thank again for you help.
Best Regards,

Case

Posted by Walter Vaughan <wv...@steelerubber.com>.
Case Torres wrote:

> We are a very small manufacturing business (< 20 employees). We are
> currently evaluating OFBiz and are seriously considering adopting OFBiz as
> our company wide ERP solution. It would be very helpful to talk with any
> small manufacturing companies who have adopted OFBiz as an ERP solution to
> find out what in the application works for you and what doesn't as well as
> what, if any, changes you might have made to OFBiz to better suit your
> business needs.

We are not live with it today, but we are looking at a 8 week golive window.
We too are a small manufacturing company of around 60 employees, but we also
distribute our products worldwide from all different directions of the supply
chain. We sell face to face, we sell via a combo B2B and B2C website, we sell to
retailers, we sell to resellers, we sell to wholesalers, we sell to other
manufacturers. We drop ship for others and some of our products are drop shipped
from others. We manufacture for ourselves, and we purchase other goods to
resell. We sell on Ebay.

Most of the changes we needed have been put into the project, either into ofBiz
or the OpenTaps financial modules.

What works is that ofBiz is the "anti-niche". All the commerical systems I've
looked at are really good at one or two levels... Manufacturing and wholesaling
or wholesaling and distributing or purchasing and retailing.

And it's not a matter that ofBiz is free. You still will have a lot of costs to

--
Walter