Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by alex_m <al...@systeam.se> on 2009/02/04 10:39:11 UTC

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException when starting tomcat

Hi!

I have a RedHat server that with Tomcat5.5.18 and java (JRE) 1.6.0. When i
tries to start the tomcat server it fails and i get this output in the
Catalina.out file. (this is not due to this bug:
https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/s...g.cgi?id=45983)

Any clues?

BR
Alex

>From Catalina.out:

Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat5/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /usr/lib/jvm/java/jre
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: \
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: \
Could not find the main class: \. Program will exit.

RE: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException when starting tomcat

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: alex_m [mailto:alexander.tolfmans-martas@systeam.se]
> Subject: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException when starting tomcat
>
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: \
> Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: \
> Could not find the main class: \. Program will exit.

Looks like someone has thrown in a back slash in an inappropriate place in your startup script, possibly in a vain attempt at continuing some line of the script.  Yet another 3rd-party repackaging screwup, perhaps?

Try installing a real (and preferably newer) Tomcat from tomcat.apache.org and see if that works.

 - Chuck

Re: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException when starting tomcat

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Kees de Kooter wrote:
> If I recall correctly Tomcat 5 and lower need a JDK to run, not a JRE.

Not quite correct.

Tomcat 5.5.x uses the Eclipse JDT compiler so it only requires a JRE.

Tomcat 4.1.x normally requires a JDK although if you pre-compile your JSPs it
will run quite happily on a JRE.

Mark

Posted by Kees de Kooter <kd...@gmail.com>.