Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/10/20 07:23:23 UTC

[general] Incubator graduation update

For those that haven't been following along....

Graduating from the Incubator is a "dynamic" process, as there's no
really hard and fast rules to satisfy.  On one hand, this is a good
thing, because determining the health and prospect of future success of
an Apache community is a difficult job, and it therefore relies on the
experience and judgment of the Incubator PMC members.  (It also allows
the process to be adapted for different kinds of podlings - we're a
weird one...) On the other hand, it can result it individual Incubator
PMC members using different "filter" criterion.

Now, I'm really proud to be a part of this community - I think we work
very well together, collaboratively, in a positive and friendly
atmosphere, and have demonstrated time and again the ability to vote,
deal with issues that arise in voting, deal with differences of opinion,
amass great hunks of software into an orderly project, etc.

That said, I'm not very optimistic that we'll be able to bring this to a
close in time for this month's board meeting.  It's a shame, but that's
ok - we're really in no rush, and if not this month, then next month.
There are no major problems - it's partially because of the rather short
timelines we tried, and partially because there are a few issues under
discussion on the general@incubator.apache.org list, a list I encourage
all of you to subscribe to and participate in.

First, there are minor 'nits' here and there related to license and
license headers.  For example, we're missing the antlr license in our
NOTICE file.  Patch anyone?  Also, there are other minor things here and
there which can be found with this tool :

     http://code.google.com/p/arat/

Anyone interested in running it ASAP and giving us a set of patches to
get a clean bill of health?

Second, we're having a discussion on the general@ list (in which we all
can participate) regarding the necessity of a project going through a
release.  This isn't actually an Incubator requirement, but the case
where information on community health and dynamics is absent or scarce,
it's a reasonable exercise.

However... for Harmony, that isn't the case. I've been arguing that
there's plenty of information on us.  All four of us mentors (Stefano,
Leo, Dims and myself) reported very positive independent assessments of
the community (go read on general@) and we have 18 months of consistent,
positive interaction with each other. My thinking was that

1) A release is something that we haven't wanted to do yet as a project,
as our interest is in producing a more complete and stable
implementation first.  We have a roadmap, it's been published for a
while now, and at least for me, it's the goal that I'm looking towards
every day.  (heck... we're still deciding what "supported" means...)

2) We're not stable enough to do something we want to shout out to the
world as a "developer release" or similar.  We will be ready soon, but
not now.  (This is just my personal opinion - others may certainly
differ...)

Anyway, that's what I feel about it.  There are Incubator PMC members
that have decided that there is ample information (Dims, Stefano and Leo
really hit it out of the park with their assessments... thanks guys!)
and have changed their minds, and I'm hoping to reach consensus with the
rest that there *is* enough information.

However, if not, and some IPMC memebers still really want to see a
demonstration of a release process, we can certainly do that.  I've
thought about what we might release.  One thing that came to mind is a
Pack200 jar :)

Any other ideas, and any other thoughts?

geir

Re: [general] Incubator graduation update

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Alex Blewitt wrote:
>> However, if not, and some IPMC memebers still really want to see a
>> demonstration of a release process, we can certainly do that.  I've
>> thought about what we might release.  One thing that came to mind is a
>> Pack200 jar :)
>
> :-) So, you're saying I've got less than a month to finish it ...

Nope!  This was my worry - that this "testing" would disrupt normal
life.  Keep going at whatever course and speed you want.  The point of a
release would be to do the release, not show working perfect code.

> I'll probably be able to get *something* ready for a release, but I
> doubt it will be fully compliant by then. The problem is that
> decompressed Jars are supposed to be exactly the same for any
> decompressor, so that MD5 signatures remain valid afterwards. What I
> can probably get is an unpacked Jar that will execute, but might be in
> a different ordering or have different MD5 signatures for components.
> The problem is that there's a lot of possible combinations of input
> files ...

Don't worry :)

> I've also tended to do fairly large code drops in patches, because it
> normally means a few days between submission and when it can be
> applied (thanks for the last one Paulex :-) I'd prefer to submit
> smaller patches as and when new functionality is added, but it would
> take longer that way.

Small patches would be better ;)

> PS When's the code going to be moved to a jdktools subproject?

That's actually a subject for a separate thread - given that the core
code is in the classlib, we can't...

geir

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
Alex Blewitt wrote:
>> However, if not, and some IPMC memebers still really want to see a
>> demonstration of a release process, we can certainly do that.  I've
>> thought about what we might release.  One thing that came to mind is a
>> Pack200 jar :)
>
> :-) So, you're saying I've got less than a month to finish it ...
>
> I'll probably be able to get *something* ready for a release, but I
> doubt it will be fully compliant by then. The problem is that
> decompressed Jars are supposed to be exactly the same for any
> decompressor, so that MD5 signatures remain valid afterwards. What I
> can probably get is an unpacked Jar that will execute, but might be in
> a different ordering or have different MD5 signatures for components.
> The problem is that there's a lot of possible combinations of input
> files ...
>
> I've also tended to do fairly large code drops in patches, because it
> normally means a few days between submission and when it can be
> applied (thanks for the last one Paulex :-) I'd prefer to submit
> smaller patches as and when new functionality is added, but it would
> take longer that way.
You are welcome:).

About the size of patches, IMO it's a dilemma, if the patch is large and
contains too many information for committers to understand in a glance,
it generally needs more time to get it applied; while a relative smaller
patch with clear objective and reasonable tests probably has more chance
to go in the SVN very soon.

> PS When's the code going to be moved to a jdktools subproject?
I can do that if no one objects(I personally +1 for that, but I'm
waiting for more committers' opinion on this issue), and if you can
provide a script to do that(svn move or so), it would be nice.

> Alex.

Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab
IBM

Re: [general] Incubator graduation update

Posted by Alex Blewitt <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> [...]
>> not now.  (This is just my personal opinion - others may certainly
>> differ...)
>>
>> Anyway, that's what I feel about it.  There are Incubator PMC members
>> that have decided that there is ample information (Dims, Stefano and Leo
>> really hit it out of the park with their assessments... thanks guys!)
>> and have changed their minds, and I'm hoping to reach consensus with the
>> rest that there *is* enough information.
>>
>> However, if not, and some IPMC memebers still really want to see a
>> demonstration of a release process, we can certainly do that.  I've
>> thought about what we might release.  One thing that came to mind is a
>> Pack200 jar :)
>>
>> Any other ideas, and any other thoughts?
>
> Another option: We have three security providers that are independent
> pluggable modules by definition. We can release all or some of them

Good idea.

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
The same situation with DNS provider for JNDI. The only dependence is
the internationalization stuff added recently.

Regards,

--
Alexei Zakharov,

Re: [general] Incubator graduation update

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Mark Hindess wrote:
> On 20 October 2006 at 10:11, "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> Mark Hindess wrote:

>>> I'm looking at modifying the federation build to have a source drop
>>> target.  It looks like doing:
>>>
>>>   svn export . target/src
>>>
>>> and modifying the build.xml to cope with the lack of svn files might
>>> be a good start.  I'll probably take a little more work but I'll get
>>> something checked in so we have something to work with.
>> Wait.
>
> I don't think I have much choice.  It's more likely you'll be waiting
> for me. ;-) It's not as trivial as it sounds[0] so I'm sure this
> discussion will be done before I'm ready to check anything in. ;-(
>
>> Why not just do a tar/zip on the working_classlib and working_vm with
>> a filter to keep out the generated stuff?
>
> This was my first thought but it didn't take long before I decided I had
> to think again.  I think it is much too error prone.  Consider figuring
> out which .so files are generated/downloaded and which are in svn.
> Repeat for dll files, jar files, etc.  Then keep this up to date.  It'd
> be a full-time job.

A *real* unix hacker would walk the tree looking at .svn/entry files ;)
  In Perl.  in less than 20 lines.

> svn export does just the right thing.  It takes only the stuff you get
> from svn but without the .svn files.  This seems much less likely to
> turn around and bite us.  (Though even this isn't without issues.)

Otay.

geir

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Mark Hindess wrote:
> On 20 October 2006 at 9:31, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> FWIW:  Below are the results of running RAT on a windows snapshot.
>> For some reason it complained about lack of ASF block comments in
>> DLLs, and proceeded to dump them to the console, so I chopped them out
>> of the report.  Looks like mainly missing block comments in emconf
>> files.
>>
>> I suspect that it will be helpful to do this on an HDK snapshot, plus
>> on a source drop (that we don't produce at present, but should IMO).
>
> I'm looking at modifying the federation build to have a source drop
> target.  It looks like doing:
>
>   svn export . target/src
>
> and modifying the build.xml to cope with the lack of svn files might
> be a good start.  I'll probably take a little more work but I'll get
> something checked in so we have something to work with.

Wait.  Why not just do a tar/zip on the working_classlib and working_vm

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Egor Pasko wrote:
> On the 0x208 day of Apache Harmony Tim Ellison wrote:
>> FWIW:  Below are the results of running RAT on a windows snapshot.  For
>> some reason it complained about lack of ASF block comments in DLLs, and
>> proceeded to dump them to the console, so I chopped them out of the
>> report.  Looks like mainly missing block comments in emconf files.
>
> I fixed *.emconf block comments in HARMONY-1928. OK?

Thank you, and thanks to Paulex for committing it.  (Now, lets see what
we can do about those dll's..... ;)

geir

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.
On 10/20/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> [...]
> every day.  (heck... we're still deciding what "supported" means...)
>
> 2) We're not stable enough to do something we want to shout out to the
> world as a "developer release" or similar.  We will be ready soon, but
> not now.  (This is just my personal opinion - others may certainly
> differ...)
>
> Anyway, that's what I feel about it.  There are Incubator PMC members
> that have decided that there is ample information (Dims, Stefano and Leo
> really hit it out of the park with their assessments... thanks guys!)
> and have changed their minds, and I'm hoping to reach consensus with the
> rest that there *is* enough information.
>
> However, if not, and some IPMC memebers still really want to see a
> demonstration of a release process, we can certainly do that.  I've
> thought about what we might release.  One thing that came to mind is a

I was under impression that you are against releasing "a piece of Harmony"
[1]. Particularly, you wrote: "There no sense in releasing just a
classlibrary or a virtual machine.  Or a toolset.  You need the whole pile."

IIUC now it is OK to release harmony-ketool-v1.0.tar.gz. Right?

Thanks,
Stepan.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200609.mbox/%3c73C11BEE-5156-4581-A768-95046E5C7A72@pobox.com%3e