Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joan Balagueró Ventus Proxy <jo...@ventusproxy.com> on 2013/11/30 11:14:41 UTC

SSL question

Hello,

I have an application that sends https requests with client authentication
from a servlet running on tomcat. It’s working fine.

When I shutdown Tomcat, I see this message in catalina.out (ssl debug
enabled):

main, called close()

main, called closeInternal(true)

main, SEND TLSv1 ALERT:  warning, description = close_notify

main, WRITE: TLSv1 Alert, length = 18

main, called closeSocket(selfInitiated)

If I send 8 https request from tomcat, this message appears 8 times when
shutting down tomcat.

Is this normal?  Does Tomcat maintain any kind of https connection pool and
what I’m seeing is Tomcat closing this pool?

Thanks,

Joan.

RE: SSL question

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Joan Balagueró Ventus Proxy [mailto:joan.balaguero@ventusproxy.com]
> Subject: SSL question

> When I shutdown Tomcat, I see this message in catalina.out (ssl debug
> enabled):

> main, called close()
> main, called closeInternal(true)
> main, SEND TLSv1 ALERT:  warning, description = close_notify
> main, WRITE: TLSv1 Alert, length = 18
> main, called closeSocket(selfInitiated)

None of those messages are generated by Tomcat itself - look inside your webapp.

> Is this normal?

That's up to you to decide.

> Does Tomcat maintain any kind of https connection pool and
> what I'm seeing is Tomcat closing this pool?

Tomcat does not contain _any_ HTTP[S] client code - it's all in your webapp or libraries your webapp is using.

- Chuck