Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Tushar Jain <tu...@hitachi.mgrmnet.com> on 2020/02/25 08:55:28 UTC

Guacamole Session & thread information in tomcat 8

Hi,

I have guacamole setup on Ubuntu 18.04. The client is installed on Tomcat 8
and it is behind nginx proxy. SSL is enable don Nginx. The steps followed
for Tomcat 8 and nginx are same as per guacamole documentation. The problem
i am facing is that the Session and Thread information for user guacamole
sessions is not reflecting in Tomcat 8 manager
application(localhost:8080/manager). My nginx.conf looks like

user www-data;
worker_processes auto;
pid /run/nginx.pid;
include /etc/nginx/modules-enabled/*.conf;

events {
worker_connections 768;
# multi_accept on;
}

http {

##
# Basic Settings
##

sendfile on;
tcp_nopush on;
tcp_nodelay on;
keepalive_timeout 65;
types_hash_max_size 2048;
# server_tokens off;

# server_names_hash_bucket_size 64;
# server_name_in_redirect off;

include /etc/nginx/mime.types;
default_type application/octet-stream;

##
# SSL Settings
##

ssl_protocols TLSv1 TLSv1.1 TLSv1.2; # Dropping SSLv3, ref: POODLE
ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;

##
# Logging Settings
##

access_log /var/log/nginx/access.log;
error_log /var/log/nginx/error.log;

##
# Gzip Settings
##

gzip on;

# gzip_vary on;
# gzip_proxied any;
# gzip_comp_level 6;
# gzip_buffers 16 8k;
# gzip_http_version 1.1;
# gzip_types text/plain text/css application/json application/javascript
text/xml application/xml application/xml+rss text/javascript;

##
# Virtual Host Configs
##

include /etc/nginx/conf.d/*.conf;
include /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/*;
}

my nginx-guacamole-ssl looks like:

 server {
listen 80;
server_name xxx.xxxxx.com;
return 301 https://$host$request_uri;

}
server {
listen 443 ssl;
server_name xxx.xxxx.com;

root /var/www/html;

index index.html index.htm index.nginx-debian.html;

ssl_certificate /etc/guacamole_source/SSL_Cert/__xxxx_com.crt;
ssl_certificate_key /etc/guacamole_source/SSL_Cert/xxxx.key;

ssl_protocols TLSv1.2 TLSv1.3;
ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;
ssl_dhparam /etc/nginx/dhparam.pem;
ssl_ciphers
ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA512:DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA512:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA384;
ssl_ecdh_curve secp384r1;
ssl_session_timeout  10m;
ssl_session_cache shared:SSL:10m;
resolver 192.168.42.129 8.8.8.8 valid=300s;
resolver_timeout 5s;
add_header Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=63072000; includeSubDomains;
preload";
add_header X-Frame-Options DENY;
add_header X-Content-Type-Options nosniff;
add_header X-XSS-Protection "1; mode=block";

access_log  /var/log/nginx/guac_access.log;
error_log  /var/log/nginx/guac_error.log;

location /guacamole/ {
   proxy_pass http://127.0.0.1:8080/guacamole/;
   proxy_buffering off;
   proxy_http_version 1.1;
   proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;
   proxy_set_header Connection $http_connection;
   proxy_cookie_path /guacamole/ /;
}

Have i missed anything?

Thanks

--
**Disclaimer:* This message and any attachment may contain confidential,
proprietary information and is intended only for the individual named. If
you are not the original intended recipient and have erroneously received
this message, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. Hitachi MGRM Net
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late
or incomplete, or contain viruses. Hitachi MGRM Net therefore does not
message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is
required, please request a hard-copy version. Hitachi MGRM Net Ltd, C -
6/5, Safdarjung Development Area, New Delhi - 110016, India*
*
*
*'Please
consider the environment before printing this e-mail'.*

Re: Guacamole Session & thread information in tomcat 8

Posted by Tushar Jain <tu...@hitachi.mgrmnet.com>.
I'm not sure why zero threads would be shown, but perhaps one of the Tomcat
lists would be of better help in debugging the Tomcat manager webapp?
If you just want to inspect what threads are running, there are generic
Java debugging tools that would let you obtain overall JVM thread dumps.
Is there something you're trying to solve by doing this?

---I am just trying to arrive at the optimum value of "MaxThreads" for
Tomcat. 200 is the default value in Tomcat and I want to monitor them to
see if I need more than 200 threads when the concurrency increases.

The fact that the connection uses RemoteApp (or RDP, or VNC, or SSH, etc.)
is opaque to the client and webapp. Everything is just the Guacamole
protocol at that level.
What do you mean by "do the Java Threads get busy"?
---What i meant was that when the user is interacting within a RemoteApp
(like any legacy applications) i.e. clicking buttons, selecting dropdown
values, typing some text etc. does it use Tomcat threads? My understanding
is it should, but just wanted to confirm.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tushar Jain <tu...@hitachi.mgrmnet.com>.
Guacamole uses its own session implementation. It does not use the Java
servlet API for sessions, which is what would be tracked by something like
Tomcat's manager webapp. You will not be able to see Guacamole sessions
there.
---Okay, Thanks

I would expect all Java threads to be visible within Tomcat's manager,
though there isn't really going to be a correspondence between Guacamole
user sessions and the number of threads. Threads aren't created on a per
session basis.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tushar Jain <tu...@hitachi.mgrmnet.com>.
Hi Nick,