Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2016/02/15 03:13:55 UTC

Re: [math] protected methods in OLS regressionclass???

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 16:42:24 -0800, michael.brzustowicz@gmail.com
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there reason that OLSMultipleLinearRegression.calculateBeta()
> and OLSMultipleLinearRegression.calculateBetaVariance() are protected
> and
> not public?

I can only guess that the purpose was to define the API only terms
of Java arrays (cf. interface "MultipleLinearRegression").

> Is this used for testing purposes ... or just an oversight ... or am
> I just
> using the class wrong?

The result of "calculateBeta()" is returned from
   estimateRegressionParameters()
and "calculateBetaVariance()" is returned from
   estimateRegressionParametersVariance()
Both are declared in the "MultipleLinearRegression" interface.

HTH,
Gilles