Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org> on 2008/02/01 21:09:44 UTC

apache commons-* -sources.jar

Hello,

Many apache commons have no -source.jar bundle in maven "central" repo. I've
created some of them based on the official source distribution for my
personnal use.

Would you allow me use
/x1/www/people.apache.org/repo/m1-ibiblio-rsync-repository/ for adding them,
or do you prefer a more formal MAVENUPLOAD / MEV request ?

Nicolas.

Re: apache commons-* -sources.jar

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.
I had a brief look into some of them. License seems to be in there.
As they are compiled from the source dist I am all for a quick vote
to push those out to the maven repo. Any other opinions?

cheers
--
Torsten

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
commons-beanutils-1.6-sources.jar  is created from
commons-beanutils-1.6-src.zip that does not contain the required NOTICE file
(only LICENSE)

Can I vote -1 to release beanutils-1.6 ?  ;-p

2008/2/2, Curt Arnold carnold@apache.org:

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Phil Steitz wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2008 3:44 PM, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
>> simon wrote:

>>> I think all this legalese stuff is rather excessive.
>> I agree. These are not *new* releases. The -sources jars should follow
>> the policy and license that were current when the original release was made.
>>

>>> All these files already have binary releases that do have valid
>>> copyright and notice statements in them. These source jars are only for
>>> the convenience of people using IDEs.
>>>
>>> Each source file has an appropriate header on it, and if people have any
>>> further questions about the licensing of the source they see, then
>>> either the binary or the svn repository has the correct answer.
>>>
>>> Remember that in the absence of a license to redistribute, people do NOT
>>> have the right to redistribute. So we are not turning these files into
>>> public domain even if no license is provided at all.
>>>
>>> The only question I see is whether the source is *right*. It would be
>>> rather embarrassing to publish source that does not quite match the
>>> binary, so a second check on these is probably a good idea. But even
>>> then it isn't fatal; changing a binary once it has been published in a
>>> maven repository is a really bad idea because it makes builds
>>> unrepeatable. However changing the source is not such a big issue, and
>>> could be fixed after the fact if necessary.
>>>
>>> Nicolas is right that this would be a nice service to some Apache
>>> software users. It's not a big thing because these releases that are
>>> being fixed are all old ones (we have our act together now) but it's
>>> still nice to do. Let's not make this harder than it needs to be.
>>>
>>> And anyway, if notice/license is to be put in these source jars I would
>>> just take it from the equivalent binary jar's META-INF directory. If the
>>> project was originally published under ASF1.1, it seems right to me that
>>> the same license should be attached to the source jar.
>>>
>>> So unless there is an official statement from the board, or a qualified
>>> lawyer says this is wrong, I'm +1 on releasing these sources jars, but
>>> suggest that people be given a few days to check that they have the
>>> right contents first.
>>>

> First we have to decide whether this maven repo pushing business
> constititutes a release.  If its us (i.e. ASF and not some third party
> package-maker) who is doing the publication, then I think it does.
> This means we have to VOTE before we do anything.
>
> I will vote -1 for anything new that we release that does not include
> NOTICE and LICENSE as part of the distribution.  I view source
> distributions as equally - in fact more - important than binaries,
> which are really just a convenience for users, so re-releasing sources
> needs to be done carefully.  This is not legalese, it is appropriate
> PMC oversight and release management.

Yes, the re-packaged jar file must follow the same rules as the original
zip file. These files must all be checked by the PMC. A vote before they
are published seems reasonable.

> Given the hassle of doing this, committing whatever is necessary to
> reproduce the new source releases, review and vote on them, etc; might
> it be better to just publish a script or instructions somewhere on how
> to make an IDE/maven-lovable sources jars from a commons source zip or
> tarball?  That way users could create these themselves from the actual
> source distributions.  Is that unreasonable?

Yes, I think it is unreasonable. Publishing -sources jars to the central
repository is so that users don't have to do this packaging themselves.

> Phil

Dennis Lundberg

Re: apache commons-* -sources.jar

Posted by simon <si...@chello.at>.
On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 16:09 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> First we have to decide whether this maven repo pushing business
> constititutes a release.  If its us (i.e. ASF and not some third party
> package-maker) who is doing the publication, then I think it does.
> This means we have to VOTE before we do anything.
>
> I will vote -1 for anything new that we release that does not include
> NOTICE and LICENSE as part of the distribution.  I view source
> distributions as equally - in fact more - important than binaries,
> which are really just a convenience for users, so re-releasing sources
> needs to be done carefully.  This is not legalese, it is appropriate
> PMC oversight and release management.
>
> Given the hassle of doing this, committing whatever is necessary to
> reproduce the new source releases, review and vote on them, etc; might
> it be better to just publish a script or instructions somewhere on how
> to make an IDE/maven-lovable sources jars from a commons source zip or
> tarball?  That way users could create these themselves from the actual
> source distributions.  Is that unreasonable?

But the data that will be in these jars has already been published.
Nicolas specifically wrote a script that just takes the src.zip file we
published in the dist dir and repackages the source code from there as a
jar.

It's a minor transformation of existing published info, which for me
doesn't qualify as a "new release".

Everyone is entitled to their own view of course, but for me the PMC is
here to ensure that stuff published is (a) legal, and (b) of reasonable
quality. I don't see how Nicolas' work endangers either of these, as
this is just extracting a subset of stuff we have *already* released,
and then applying a different compression method (jar, not zip).

Regards,
Simon

Re: apache commons-* -sources.jar

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: apache commons-* -sources.jar

Posted by simon <si...@chello.at>.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
 That's right, but both ant and maven require the project to
script/configure that -source.jar creation. As only recent versions (based
on maven2) does, all archived releases require some changes to get
the existing build produce this bundle.

Based on existing -srz.zip dist bundles, the -source.jar creation is only an
"unzip" + "jar" operation.

Can I point out that Apache provide two complete build tools to avoid

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
[...]

            String f = group.getName().substring( 0, group.getName().length()
- "-src.zip".length() );
            if ( new File( dir, "src/java" ).exists() )
            {
                System.out.println( "jar cf " + f + "-sources.jar -C " + dir
+ "\\src\\java <file://src//java> ." );
            }
            else if ( new File( dir, "src/main/java" ).exists() )
            {
                System.out.println( "jar cf " + f + "-sources.jar -C " + dir
+ "\\src\\main\\java <file://src//main//java> ." );
            }
            else if ( new File( dir, "src/share" ).exists() )
            {
                System.out.println( "jar cf " + f + "-sources.jar -C " + dir
+ "\\src\\share <file://src//share> ." );
            }
            else
            {
                System.err.println( "no src/java for " + dist );
            }
            if ( new File( dir, "src/resources" ).exists() )
            {
                System.out.println( "jar uf " + f + "-sources.jar -C " + dir
+ "\\src\\resources <file://src//resources> ." );
            }
            if ( new File( dir, "src/javascript" ).exists() )
            {
                System.out.println( "jar uf " + f + "-sources.jar -C " + dir
+ "\\src\\javascript <file://src//javascript> ." );
            }

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
I've put some -sources.jars in :

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
I've put some -sources.jars in :

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Feb 1, 2008, at 2:09 PM, nicolas de loof wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Many apache commons have no -source.jar bundle in maven "central"
> repo. I've created some of them based on the official source
> distribution for my personnal use.
>
> Would you allow me use /x1/www/people.apache.org/repo/m1-ibiblio-
> rsync-repository/ for adding them, or do you prefer a more formal
> MAVENUPLOAD / MEV request ?
>
> Nicolas.

I'm just a lurker on the repo list, but I'd think that this would look
like a ASF released and a consumer would assume that it had the
blessing of the associated PMC.  If the source jars were prepared,
posted people.apache.org/builds and a vote called on the appropriate
mailing list to accept them for publication, then I could see placing
them in the repo upon conclusion of a favorable vote.  Otherwise, it
looks like a single committer just did an end-run around the ASF
release policy.