Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Zoe Adams <zo...@snapherup.com> on 2002/03/27 20:41:51 UTC

Newbie installation question

Hi,

This is a very newbie question I'm afraid.

I have attempted to install a standalone Tomcat 4 as an RPM under RedHat
Linux 7.1 but just can't get it to work.

These are the steps I've followed:
- Installed jdk-1.3.1_02.i386.rpm
- Installed regexp-1.2-1.noarch.rpm
- Installed servletapi4-4.0.2-3.noarch.rpm
- Installed xerces-j-1.4.4-2.noarch.rpm
- Installed tomcat4-4.0.2-3.noarch.rpm
- Set JAVA_HOME="/usr/java/jdk1.3.1_02" in /etc/tomcat4/conftomcat4.conf
- Set CATALINA_HOME="/var/tomcat4" in /etc/profile

I then go into /etc/init.d and type "tomcat4 start" and I see the
following:
Using CATALINA_BASE: /var/tomcat4
Using CATALINA_HOME: /var/tomcat4
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /var/tomcat4/temp
Using JAVA_HOME: /usr/java/jdk1.3.1_02

But if I try to browse to http://localhost:8180 I get the message "could
not connect to host localhost (port 8180)".

Where am I going wrong? I have read the documentation but am still none
the wiser. I've installed Tomcat4 under Windows and it all went without
a hitch, but Linux has me stumped. If anyone can offer any suggestions
or point me to some good online help, then I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
Zoe Adams