Posted to users@maven.apache.org by matthewadams <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2006/11/10 19:14:59 UTC

RE: [M2] FAQ? Debugging unit tests in Maven2

Dan Fabulich-2 wrote:

> Probably what's happening is Maven is launching a second JVM to run your
> tests.
>
> If so, you can use -DargLine="=-Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE
> -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,address=4657" to pass
> those arguments to the launched JVM.
>
> Alternately, you can set surefire to forkMode=never and then your
> MAVEN_OPTS trick will work just fine.
>
> -Dan

This makes sense.  Some questions:
1. Is the "argLine" property a Surefire-specific property or a Maven-global
property?

2. Where is the "argLine" property documented (and all other properties for
that matter)?

3. Where do I set the surefire "forkMode" property?

I think I prefer not to change the testing process too much and stick with
setting argLine so the tests are still run in a separate JVM.  It depends on
whether or not I want each test of possibly many to block until I attach the
debugger to it...we'll see how that goes.  I'll probably just run the single
test using "-Dtest=BlahBlahBlah".

Thanks,
Matthew

Re: [M2] FAQ? Debugging unit tests in Maven2

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 11/10/06, matthewadams <ma...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> 1. Is the "argLine" property a Surefire-specific property or a Maven-global
> property?
>
> 2. Where is the "argLine" property documented (and all other properties for
> that matter)?
>
> 3. Where do I set the surefire "forkMode" property?

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-plugin/test-mojo.html

The properties can be set with -D on the command line or inside
<plugin><configuration> in the pom.

--
Wendy