Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nick Pavlica <np...@mail.lrm2.k12.wy.us> on 2001/02/02 05:38:07 UTC

Web Development

"Hello Wold" :)

I'm new to web development and I'm investigating the various available. technologies   I have been looking into Java (J2EE) and PHP4 to create my database(db2 - 7.1) driven web applications.  I have experience in programing in VB, Pascal,  SQL/PLSQL, and a little PHP but have yet to enter the world of Java.  Most of the Java application servers seem to be very expensive when compared to using the free PHP.    What are the pros and cons of each.  Why should I dedicate my time and money into learning Java, and using it in my projects.  Also, is Tomcat fully capable of building database web applications that use Beans, etc.  I hope that these comments don't sound foolish, but I'm trying to develop a bigger picture of things.  Any comments would be helpful.

Thank You!
npavlica@mail.lrm2.k12.wy.us
or
znpmail@yahoo.com

Nick Pavlica
LCSD2 ~ IT

Re: Web Development

Posted by Narayanan <na...@enhanindia.com>.
   hI

   If u r developping a web based application PHP4 + MySql will do ..  where
like java php is also a open source and it will run anywhere
   except macintosh . So this is not a big botheration

   When talking about TomCat .  Reliablity is less . It crashes often
    Where as  the number of requests it process per sec is very less

    When u integrate PHP4 + Apache or IIS . U can make many wonders .

    From PHP you can access  Dll's created and even u can use Java classes .

   So compared to Java PHP souds good and very easy to use .

  Narayanan.