Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/01 23:47:14 UTC

Re: [UX][DESIGN EXPLORATION] - flat application icons

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 11:31 PM, Kevin Grignon
<ke...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've updated my flat application icons design exploration to show the icons
> adjacent to the new flat logo.
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO4+-+Desktop+Icons
>
> Scroll to end of page to see the flat icons.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Regards,
> Kevin

Hi -- I LIKE these! Very nice.  Modern.

I would just like to mention that a small "flat" orb icon in various sizes
might also be needed to replace the images that start with "main..." in:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/main/default_images/res/

This is used on (my) Linux system(s) for the main soffice component.

MzK

"If you stick with a vision, it might not all work,
 but some of it will be absolute genius."
                                           -- Kim Cattrall

Re: [UX][DESIGN EXPLORATION] - flat application icons

Posted by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com>.
> Well, maybe...
> - a big 'Sigma' sign (sum)
> - something remembering to formulas, something simple, a^b, e = mc^2,
> x/y, a(over)b, sqrt(a), ...
> Not easy, true.

Hah! What about an abstracted 'Einstein' photo...? (not sure if the
example will be stripped)...

scaled to 32x27:

--
ALG

Re: [UX][DESIGN EXPLORATION] - flat application icons

Posted by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com>.
     Hi Samer,

On 10.07.2013 00:15, Samer Mansour wrote:
> I don't know what 'dia' means.

Sorry, I am not a native speaker. leo says 'slide' (I should have known
that ;-)). The old plastic, quadratic film holders with the unique
format, used in diascopes.

> My opinion is that we should not worry about them being all the same or all
> unique.
Okay.
> If the product's default perspective is landscape I did landscape, vice
> versa if its default if portrait I did portrait.
Good point!

> When we go circle we gain space for the application picture, we also gain
> "circle" branding.
> Vice versa, when its square we loose circle branding but can gain gull
> branding, loosing space though for gull.
>
> Also putting the gull in the circle but not in one of the two places make
> it looks wrong when icon is compared to official logo.

If you still have that, would you be so kind to also put it on the page
- as an example to see what you mean here? I am cnfident that you are
right, but a picture says more than words...

> When I open documents I see a blank page (preferably with paragraphs).
> When I open spreadsheets I see cells.
> When I open presentations, I see bullets and a title.

True, and it's definitely individual/different for every viewer, but I
could not recognize it directly. I could recognize the 'slide' in
Kevin's suggestions better; just my thoughts, but maybe worth a try...?

> When I open draw, my first experience was clicking rectangle and placing it
> down on the canvas.
> When I think formulas, I think Sum (Sigma).
> When I think database. I think f*** how am I going to represent that?

Well, maybe...
- a big 'Sigma' sign (sum)
- something remembering to formulas, something simple, a^b, e = mc^2,
x/y, a(over)b, sqrt(a), ...
Not easy, true.

> That's the important part, think how a (slow) user would think.
> Familiarity. Pretty comes second.
Samer, thanks for your designs and thoughts!

Sincerely,
     Armin

> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com>wrote:
>
>>      Hi Samer,
>>
>> nice stuff! No longer the basic 'app'-like shape, but nice ;-) I like the
>> round ones, this is a visible change. I miss the gulls less than I would
>> have imagined before seeing it...
>>
>> Some thoughts on looking at them:
>> - The symbols in the objects are well distinguishable. The presentation
>> one is rounded, the others have sharp edges. Would it be possible to have
>> sharp/round for all uniquely? Maybe a unique size for all, too?
>> - For Impress I still would prefer the 'dia' association, a frame with the
>> classic 'dia' dimensions and an open 'window' in the center, like in the
>> set from Kevin two above yours.
>>
>> Just my thoughts (and just suggestions of course)
>>

>> On 08.07.2013 17:21, Samer Mansour wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Everyone, took another stab:
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**
>>> AOO4+-+Desktop+Icons<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO4+-+Desktop+Icons>
>>>
>>> Upon scaling down, I can tweak line thicknesses to create sharper small
>>> set
>>> icons, I only scaled cheap to get this draft out on the mailing list for
>>> comments.
>>>
>>> Here are my thoughts when creating those:
>>>
>>> Flatter, sharper, more contrast, less gradients.
>>> People mentions circle is part of the brand, note taken and implemented.
>>> People mentioned too many gradients, I created this icon set back in
>>> December 2012 before we were inspired by the flat idea. Gradients have
>>> been
>>> removed.
>>> Someone mentioned shoot the birds, so I played Duck Hunt with them.
>>> Someone said my icon for Impress was less than, I choose not to act on it
>>> for the time being.
>>> I like the oblique styling on the Sigma, that's what the person building
>>> the shed wants to do.
>>> Jurgen mentioned boarders too dark, I forgot to lighten them, but can in
>>> future iterations.
>>> Rob mentioned templates to be dotted, did it, works.  And its still
>>> similar
>>> enough for 3.x users to transition to.
>>>
>>> If time is running out, we can do just the main application icon for now.
>>> I'm ok with doing these for 4.1
>>>

>>> On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 7:25 AM, Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>   [stuff deleted here]
>> --
>> ALG

ALG

Re: [UX][DESIGN EXPLORATION] - flat application icons

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.
I don't know what 'dia' means.

Posted by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com>.
     Hi Samer,

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xin Li <lx...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kevin and Samer,

Thanks for the explorations and contributions. The icons looks great! I
love them!

I prefer the flat ones which are not have gulls because they looks simple
and clear. But I also agree with Kevin that we should explore the icons
with and without the gulls.

I suggest we can have the different size for these icons, for example
16pixel/24pixel/32pixel. So that have a preview at small size.

2013/7/8 Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org>

> Another option would be to ditch the single gull and have a flat orb in
> the upper left corner, in its original colors. The desktop icons might need
> to be toned down a bit to not clash.  Likewise for the document icons,
> which don't scale well with those gradients.  (Also, when did "OpenOffice"
> get two tones.  Was I sleeping?)
>
> This works to indicate that Apache OpenOffice is the associated
> application.  It also works when there are other decorations, such as a
> lock or signature security indicator, other indicators that tend to be
> overlain on the lower left corner.
>
> Some do it differently, especially for large icons associated with
> documents.  The format may be identified in the upper left (e.g., "PDF")
> and the associated application is indicated in the main symbol (Acrobat
> Reader).  Microsoft uses generic icons for word-processing, spreadsheet,
> presentation, e-mail applications, etc.  There is then a single-letter
> badge that indicates the application when it is a Microsoft associated
> format.  For Apache OpenOffice having the orb as a badge on each of our
> designs serves a similar purpose.
>

> It occurs to me that the page surround is not needed.  The larger versions
> of the inscribed symbol can be used on its own, with the orb in the corner
> of those.  They might be borderless then, apart from the shape of the
> central symbol, and the page curl could go away.  (Whether a simple
> document-page surround is used on large icons, such as 64-bit ones, is a
> different matter.  That option remains.)
>
> The difference between a template and the document icon is pretty subtle.
>  I get the tear-off from a pad of paper, but only because that is the only
> way I can explain it to myself.  With uninscribed icons (other than the
> colored framing of the different symbols), maybe the difference is for the
> template graphics to be with dotted or dashed lines rather than solid.
>  Just grasping at straws here.
>
>  - Dennis

Best regards,
Xin Li   李欣
UX designer

RE: [UX][DESIGN EXPLORATION] - flat application icons

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Samer,

Nice explorations.

Could we try a version where the the app icons are all round? This would associate the product icons with the AOO icon.

The document icons could remain square.

Finally, could we see try the icons without the birds. They are hard to render at small sizes and add noise.

Let's keep sketching ideas. Best to visualize the feasible options.

Kevin

Posted by Armin Le Grand <Ar...@me.com>.
     Hi Samer,

--
ALG

Re: [UX][DESIGN EXPLORATION] - flat application icons

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hey guys,