Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Ariel Weisberg <ar...@datastax.com> on 2015/05/28 22:36:12 UTC

Incorporating modified source code from one Apache project inside another

Hi,

I looked at the FAQ and tried searching the list but didn't find an answer
to this.

I want to incorporate in source form some code from Ant into Cassandra.

Since they are both Apache projects and Apache holds the copyright for both
of them do I need to do anything beyond preserving the existing license
headers.

Thanks,
Ariel

Re: Incorporating modified source code from one Apache project inside another

Posted by Ariel Weisberg <ar...@datastax.com>.
Hi,

OK consider me educated WRT Apache not having copyright assignment. I was
thrown off by

2. Grant of Copyright License. Subject to the terms and conditions of
   this Agreement, You hereby grant to the Foundation and to
   recipients of software distributed by the Foundation a perpetual,
   worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable
   copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of,
   publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute Your
   Contributions and such derivative works.

Which looks kind of like joint copyright ownership.

Ant already provides an extension point (ant-junit formatters) here and the
classes are modifications of implementations shipped with ant. The issue I
am addressing is possibly self (where self is Casssandra) inflicted so I
don't think it calls for a change in Ant.

Thanks,
Ariel

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 28/05/2015 21:36, Ariel Weisberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I looked at the FAQ and tried searching the list but didn't find an
> answer to this.
>
> I want to incorporate in source form some code from Ant into Cassandra.
>
> Since they are both Apache projects and Apache holds the copyright for
> both of them do I need to do anything beyond preserving the existing
> license headers.

<nitpick>
Apache does not hold the copyright for any code. That remains with the
original contributors of each commit.

Apache holds the copyright to the collective work (the applying of all
those commits in the right sequence).
</nitpick>

Legally, you are free to copy code from one Apache project to another as
you wish.

Socially, this is effectively a fork so think about if you can depend on
Ant instead.

If both projects were using svn you could consider an svn copy (which
makes keeping your fork in sync a lot easier). I assume git has a
similar feature you could use but I don't have enough git fu to point
you to it.

Mark