Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org> on 2022/11/02 13:14:42 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Issue tracking workflow

Calcite just requested a separate mailing list for users to request a
JIRA account.

I think I'd try going a similar route. While I prefer the openness of
github issues, they are really limited, and while some things can be
replicated with labels (like fix versions / components), things like
release notes can't.
We'd also lose a central place for collecting issues, since we'd have to
(?) scope issues per repo.

I wouldn't want to import everything into GH issues (it's just a flawed
approach in the long-term imo), but on the other hand I don't know if
the auto linker even works if it has to link to either jira or a GH issue.

Given that we need to change workflows in any case, I think I'd prefer
sticking to JIRA.
For reported bugs I'd wager that in most cases we can file the tickets
ourselves and communicate with users on slack/MLs to gather all the
information. I'd argue that if we'd had been more pro-active with filing
tickets for user issues (instead of relying on them to do it) we
would've addressed several issues way sooner.

Additionally, since either option would be a sort of experiment, then
JIRA is a safer option. We have to change less and there aren't any
long-term ramifications (like having to re-import GH tickets into JIRA).

Posted by Piotr Nowojski <pn...@apache.org>.
Hey,

Infra team started a survey:
> to understand the heart of the problems that our projects and podlings
face.
> (...)
> https://infra.apache.org/surveys/survey-1.html

I'm just reposting it here, if it just happens that you have something to
share with them.

Best,
Piotrek

pon., 14 lis 2022 o 15:39 Martijn Visser <ma...@apache.org>