Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Artur Siekielski <ar...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/21 11:35:25 UTC

ActiveMQ 5.x hangs. How to debug?

Hi.
We use ActiveMQ 5.1.0 in the following way: we have four queues, each queue
has about 5-12 consumers and producers, some of them are running on
different machines. Used transport is 'tcp'. Producers use non-persistent
delivery mode, acknowledge mode is "auto". We do not create threads.
Messages are consumed synchronously using 'consumer.receive()'. Exact number
of messages which have to be consumed/produced is known in advance.

Everything works ok for some time (like 0,5h), but after processing eg. 500
000 messages all consumers of a specific queue hang. In admin console there
are a few pending messages in that queue. How can we debug such situation?
Turning DEBUG logging in broker didn't give us any useful information.

We have switched to latest ActiveMQ from 4.x branch and didn't experience
hang situation yet (but more tests are needed).

Any help would be appreciated,
Artur

Re: ActiveMQ 5.x hangs. How to debug?

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 21 May 2008, at 10:35, Artur Siekielski wrote:

> Hi.
> We use ActiveMQ 5.1.0 in the following way: we have four queues,
> each queue
> has about 5-12 consumers and producers, some of them are running on
> different machines. Used transport is 'tcp'. Producers use non-
> persistent
> delivery mode, acknowledge mode is "auto". We do not create threads.
> Messages are consumed synchronously using 'consumer.receive()'.
> Exact number
> of messages which have to be consumed/produced is known in advance.
>
> Everything works ok for some time (like 0,5h), but after processing
> eg. 500
> 000 messages all consumers of a specific queue hang. In admin
> console there
> are a few pending messages in that queue. How can we debug such
> situation?
> Turning DEBUG logging in broker didn't give us any useful information.
>
> We have switched to latest ActiveMQ from 4.x branch and didn't
> experience
> hang situation yet (but more tests are needed).
>
> Any help would be appreciated,
> Artur

Stack trace - and preferably a single  junit test case - attached to a
jira would help identify the problem quicker

cheers,

Rob

http://open.iona.com/products/enterprise-activemq
http://rajdavies.blogspot.com/

Re: ActiveMQ 5.x hangs. How to debug?

Posted by tmi <mi...@web.de>.
Try to get a thread dump using CTRL+break on Windows or kill -3 on Unix and
examine the stack trace of each thread. It might give you some indication
where things are hanging. Then attach a debugger to the JVM and check what
the threads in question are doing.