Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Marty Landman <ML...@face2interface.com> on 2004/01/17 19:41:09 UTC

[users@httpd] re-install with suexec

I've currently got Apache/2.0.48 built and set up just like I want it on my
FBSD 4.8 machine running on my office LAN. Except for two issues:

1. w/o suexec installed, CGI software development has forced so many
kludges that it's now intractable
2. w/o mod_perl installed, things take too long (avg. 4 sec wait on my
browser equals the wait on SSH to recompile e.g. "perl -wc"

So I have some questions:

1. does it behoove me to save anything from the current install other than
my httpd.conf file, which btw is the only conf file I've changed?

2. as said, I want to install mod_perl to improve performance even though
the production server will not have mod_perl installed; is this a
reasonable thing to do?

3. being used to Windows I think in terms of uninstalled/reinstalling
software; not sure if this applies here...

Bottom line is I don't know what kind of configuration to specify and what
preparation is needed. Looking at the Apache manual seems to get me deeper
in the mire. Any pointers are most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
Sign On Required: Web membership software for your site

[users@httpd] a boy named suexec

Posted by Marty Landman <ML...@face2interface.com>.
It says at http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/10825_1126991_2
that

"even a normal Apache build that was performed without any thought given to
using the wrapper can suddenly become suexec-enabled if a properly
protected suexec binary is put into place between server restarts."

I found /usr/local/apache2/bin/suexec and a link apparently pointing
nowhere at /usr/local/apache2/sbin/suexec. The permissions for
/usr/local/apache2/bin/suexec is -rwsr-xr-x so I chmod'd
/usr/local/apache2/sbin/suexec to be the same; stopped and started apache
and see only this on the log

[Sat Jan 17 15:02:54 2004] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Sat Jan 17 15:03:01 2004] [notice] Apache/2.0.48 (Unix) configured --
resuming normal operations

Meaning that it didn't find suexec where it expected, at least not with
proper permissions.

Can anyone help me with this?