Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by "Marcelo Valle (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON)" <mv...@bloomberg.net> on 2015/04/07 14:48:15 UTC

write availability

If I have an application that writes to a HBase cluster, can I count that the cluster will always available to receive writes?
I might not be able to read if a region server which handles a range of keys is down, but will I be able to keep writing to other nodes, so everything get in sync when the other nodes get up again?
Or I might get no write availability for a while?

Re: write availability

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
I don’t know if I would say that…

I read Marcelo’s question of “if the cluster is up, even though a RS may be down, can I still insert records in to HBase?”

So if the cluster is up, then you can insert records in to HBase even though you lost a RS that was handing a specific region.

But because he talked about syncing nodes… I could be misreading his initial question…

> On Apr 7, 2015, at 9:02 AM, Serega Sheypak <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If I have an application that writes to a HBase cluster, can I count that
> the cluster will always available to receive writes?
> No, it's CP, not AP system.
>> so everything get in sync when the other nodes get up again
> There is no hinted backoff, It's not Cassandra.

> mvallemilita@bloomberg.net>:
>
>> If I have an application that writes to a HBase cluster, can I count that
>> the cluster will always available to receive writes?
>> I might not be able to read if a region server which handles a range of
>> keys is down, but will I be able to keep writing to other nodes, so
>> everything get in sync when the other nodes get up again?
>> Or I might get no write availability for a while?

Use at your own risk.
Michael Segel
michael_segel (AT) hotmail.com

Re: write availability