Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Nicolas Pastorino <nf...@ez.no> on 2009/04/10 13:48:13 UTC

QueryElevationComponent : hot update of elevate.xml

Hello !

Browsing the mailing-list's archives did not help me find the answer,
hence the question asked directly here.

Some context first :
Integrating Solr with a CMS ( eZ Publish ), we chose to support
Elevation. The idea is to be able to 'elevate' any object from the
CMS. This can be achieved through eZ Publish's back office, with a
dedicated Elevate administration GUI, the configuration is stored in
the CMS temporarily, and then synchronized frequently and/or on
demand onto Solr. This synchronisation is currently done as follows :
1. Generate the elevate.xml based on the stored configuration
2. Replace elevate.xml in Solr's dataDir
3. Commit. It appears that when having elevate.xml in Solr's dataDir,
and solely in this case, commiting triggers a reload of elevate.xml.
This does not happen when elevate.xml is stored in Solr's conf dir.

This method has one main issue though : eZ Publish needs to have
access to the same filesystem as the one on which Solr's dataDir is
stored. This is not always the case when the CMS is clustered for
instance --> show stopper :(

Hence the following idea / RFC :
How about extending the Query Elevation system with the possibility
to push an updated elevate.xml file/XML through HTTP ?
This would update the file where it is actually located, and trigger
a reload of the configuration.
Not being very knowledgeable about Solr's API ( yet ! ), i cannot
figure out whether this would be possible, how this would be
achievable ( which type of plugin for instance ) or even be valid ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your thoughts,
--
Nicolas

Re: QueryElevationComponent : hot update of elevate.xml

Posted by Nicolas Pastorino <nf...@ez.no>.
Hi,

On May 12, 2009, at 12:33 , Nicolas Pastorino wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On May 7, 2009, at 6:03 , Noble Paul നോബിള്‍
> नोब्ळ् wrote:
>
>> going forward the java based replication is going to be the preferred
>> means replicating index. It does not support replicating files in the
>> dataDir , it only supports replicating index files and conf files
>> (files in conf dir). I was unaware of the fact that it was
>> possible to
>> put the elevate.xml in dataDir.
>>
>> reloading on commit is a trivial for a search component. it can
>> register itself to be an even listener for commit and do a reload of
>> elevate.xml. This can be a configuration parameter.
>>
>> <str name="refreshOnCommmit">true</str>
>>
> Thanks for these nice tips and recommendations.
> I attached a new version of this requestHandler here : https://
> issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1147.
As proposed in the comments of this issue, it was rescoped to a more
generic feature : " Updating configuration files through
HTTP" ( https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1147 ).
Discussion continues in the issue tracker and right here !

Nicolas Pastorino
eZ Systems ( Labs )

Re: QueryElevationComponent : hot update of elevate.xml

Posted by Nicolas Pastorino <nf...@ez.no>.
Hi,

नोब्ळ् wrote:

> going forward the java based replication is going to be the preferred
> means replicating index. It does not support replicating files in the
> dataDir , it only supports replicating index files and conf files
> (files in conf dir). I was unaware of the fact that it was possible to
> put the elevate.xml in dataDir.
>
> reloading on commit is a trivial for a search component. it can
> register itself to be an even listener for commit and do a reload of
> elevate.xml. This can be a configuration parameter.
>
> <str name="refreshOnCommmit">true</str>

Thanks for these nice tips and recommendations.
I attached a new version of this requestHandler here : https://
issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1147.

Would this requestHandler be of any general use and could be part of
Solr's trunk ?

Thanks in advance,
--
Nicolas Pastorino - eZ Labs

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@corp.aol.com>.

Posted by Nicolas Pastorino <nf...@ez.no>.

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@corp.aol.com>.

Posted by Nicolas Pastorino <nf...@ez.no>.
Hello,

नोब्ळ् wrote:

> The elevate.xml is loaded from conf dir when the core is reloaded . if
> you post the new xml you will have to reload the core.
>
> A simple solution would be to write a RequestHandler which extends
> QueryElevationComponent which can be a listener for commit and call an
> super.inform() on that event
You may want to have a look at this issue : https://issues.apache.org/
jira/browse/SOLR-1147

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@corp.aol.com>.

Posted by Nicolas Pastorino <nf...@ez.no>.
Hi,

On Apr 10, 2009, at 16:51 , Ryan McKinley wrote:

> On Apr 10, 2009, at 7:48 AM, Nicolas Pastorino wrote:
>
>> Hello !
>>

>> Browsing the mailing-list's archives did not help me find the
>> answer, hence the question asked directly here.
>>
>> Some context first :
>> Integrating Solr with a CMS ( eZ Publish ), we chose to support
>> Elevation. The idea is to be able to 'elevate' any object from the
>> CMS. This can be achieved through eZ Publish's back office, with a
>> dedicated Elevate administration GUI, the configuration is stored
>> in the CMS temporarily, and then synchronized frequently and/or on
>> demand onto Solr. This synchronisation is currently done as follows :
>> 1. Generate the elevate.xml based on the stored configuration
>> 2. Replace elevate.xml in Solr's dataDir
>> 3. Commit. It appears that when having elevate.xml in Solr's
>> dataDir, and solely in this case, commiting triggers a reload of
>> elevate.xml. This does not happen when elevate.xml is stored in
>> Solr's conf dir.
>>

>> This method has one main issue though : eZ Publish needs to have
>> access to the same filesystem as the one on which Solr's dataDir
>> is stored. This is not always the case when the CMS is clustered
>> for instance --> show stopper :(
>>
>> Hence the following idea / RFC :
>> How about extending the Query Elevation system with the
>> possibility to push an updated elevate.xml file/XML through HTTP ?
>> This would update the file where it is actually located, and
>> trigger a reload of the configuration.
>> Not being very knowledgeable about Solr's API ( yet ! ), i cannot
>> figure out whether this would be possible, how this would be
>> achievable ( which type of plugin for instance ) or even be valid ?
>

> Perhaps look at implementing custom RequestHandler:
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrRequestHandler
>
> maybe it could POST the new elevate.xm and then save it to the
> right place and call commit...
Thanks Ryan for your answer.

Here is the related issue in JIRA : https://issues.apache.org/jira/
browse/SOLR-1147
It includes a Request Handler, as you advised, which takes care of
all this. I guess we can follow up on this on JIRA from now on.
--
Nicolas
eZ Systems

Re: QueryElevationComponent : hot update of elevate.xml

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 10, 2009, at 7:48 AM, Nicolas Pastorino wrote:

> Hello !
>

> Browsing the mailing-list's archives did not help me find the
> answer, hence the question asked directly here.
>
> Some context first :
> Integrating Solr with a CMS ( eZ Publish ), we chose to support
> Elevation. The idea is to be able to 'elevate' any object from the
> CMS. This can be achieved through eZ Publish's back office, with a
> dedicated Elevate administration GUI, the configuration is stored in
> the CMS temporarily, and then synchronized frequently and/or on
> demand onto Solr. This synchronisation is currently done as follows :
> 1. Generate the elevate.xml based on the stored configuration
> 2. Replace elevate.xml in Solr's dataDir
> 3. Commit. It appears that when having elevate.xml in Solr's
> dataDir, and solely in this case, commiting triggers a reload of
> elevate.xml. This does not happen when elevate.xml is stored in
> Solr's conf dir.
>

> This method has one main issue though : eZ Publish needs to have
> access to the same filesystem as the one on which Solr's dataDir is
> stored. This is not always the case when the CMS is clustered for
> instance --> show stopper :(
>
> Hence the following idea / RFC :
> How about extending the Query Elevation system with the possibility
> to push an updated elevate.xml file/XML through HTTP ?
> This would update the file where it is actually located, and trigger
> a reload of the configuration.
> Not being very knowledgeable about Solr's API ( yet ! ), i cannot
> figure out whether this would be possible, how this would be
> achievable ( which type of plugin for instance ) or even be valid ?

Perhaps look at implementing custom RequestHandler:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrRequestHandler

maybe it could POST the new elevate.xm and then save it to the right
place and call commit...

ryan