Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2017/06/22 15:18:14 UTC

[VOTE] 8.0.x EOL - 30 June 2018

We had a couple of threads discussing this. I think it is time for a vote.

[ ] +1 We should announce 8.0.x EOL for 30 June 2018
[ ] -1 We should announce 8.0.x EOL for [insert date here]
[ ] -1 We should not announce 8.0.x EOL at this time

Thanks,

Mark

Re: [VOTE] 8.0.x EOL - 30 June 2018

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@alibaba-inc.com>.
[ X ] +1 We should announce 8.0.x EOL for 30 June 2018

From:Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Time:2017 Jun 22 (Thu) 23:18
To:Tomcat Developers List <de...@tomcat.apache.org>
Subject:[VOTE] 8.0.x EOL - 30 June 2018

[VOTE][RESULT] 8.0.x EOL - 30 June 2018

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
The following votes were cast:

Binding:

30 June 2018: mgrigorov, violetagg, fschumacher, remm, csutherl, huxing,
              schultz, rjung, markt

Non-binding:
-1: ebourg

The vote therefore passes. I'll send the formal announcement out shortly.

Regarding the one -1 vote, there appears to be a general consensus to do
what we can to help the Linux distros beyond the EOL date. The preferred
route is to fix anything that prevents them from moving from 8.0.x to
8.5.x. Where that isn't possible then we can try and help with
back-porting security fixes.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] 8.0.x EOL - 30 June 2018

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
All,

On 6/22/17 11:18 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> We had a couple of threads discussing this. I think it is time for a
> vote.>
> [X] +1 We should announce 8.0.x EOL for 30 June 2018
> [ ] -1 We should announce 8.0.x EOL for [insert date here]
> [ ] -1 We should not announce 8.0.x EOL at this time

I think Tomcat 8.0 can go into maintenance mode (i.e. security-only)
fairly soon.

-chris

Re: [VOTE] 8.0.x EOL - 30 June 2018

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Am 22.06.2017 um 17:18 schrieb Mark Thomas:
> We had a couple of threads discussing this. I think it is time for a vote.
>
> [X] +1 We should announce 8.0.x EOL for 30 June 2018
> [ ] -1 We should announce 8.0.x EOL for [insert date here]
> [ ] -1 We should not announce 8.0.x EOL at this time

+1

Thanks and regards,

Rainer

Re: [VOTE] 8.0.x EOL - 30 June 2018

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 5:18 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> We had a couple of threads discussing this. I think it is time for a vote.
>
> [ X ] +1 We should announce 8.0.x EOL for 30 June 2018
> [ ] -1 We should announce 8.0.x EOL for [insert date here]
> [ ] -1 We should not announce 8.0.x EOL at this time
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Regards,
Martin

Re: [VOTE] 8.0.x EOL - 30 June 2018

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 8.0.x EOL - 30 June 2018

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 8.0.x EOL - 30 June 2018

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.

Am 22. Juni 2017 17:18:14 MESZ schrieb Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
>We had a couple of threads discussing this. I think it is time for a
>vote.
>
>[x] +1 We should announce 8.0.x EOL for 30 June 2018
>[ ] -1 We should announce 8.0.x EOL for [insert date here]
>[ ] -1 We should not announce 8.0.x EOL at this time

Felix

Re: [VOTE] 8.0.x EOL - 30 June 2018

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <vi...@apache.org>.

> We had a couple of threads discussing this. I think it is time for a vote.
>
> [X] +1 We should announce 8.0.x EOL for 30 June 2018
> [ ] -1 We should announce 8.0.x EOL for [insert date here]
> [ ] -1 We should not announce 8.0.x EOL at this time

Regards,
Violeta

Re: [VOTE] 8.0.x EOL - 30 June 2018

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 8.0.x EOL - 30 June 2018

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 26/06/17 13:13, Coty Sutherland wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 5:51 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Yes that would help.

>>> The removal of the BIO connectors was the main issue reported. It broke
>>> tomcatjss [1][2], dogtag [3][4] and jglobus [5].
>>
>> That is easily fixable. I've already got a patch to fix that I use as
>> $work that I can pull in.
>
> That fix won't work for tomcatjss because they use the socket directly
> iirc. Short of putting the connector back tomcatjss has to be updated
> to work with NIO before it will work again.

:(

I don't see a full restoration of BIO happening in 8.5.x.

> I'm trying to make it easy
> on the Fedora folks by not updating to 8.5 until they have a solution
> for dogtag, so the sooner that is resolved (I think we've already made
> suggestions on how to fix it) the sooner I can update Fedora Rawhide
> to 8.5 and push for adoption there.

If there is anything we can do in Tomcat to make that process easier
then do speak up.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] 8.0.x EOL - 30 June 2018

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 5:51 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 26/06/17 08:12, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
>> Le 24/06/2017 à 17:25, Mark Thomas a écrit :
>>
>>> If 8.5.x was a drop-in replacement would that make a difference?
>>
>> Yes that would help.
>>

>>> And as a follow-up, what would need to change so 8.5.x was viewed a
>>> drop-in replacement?
>>
>> The removal of the BIO connectors was the main issue reported. It broke
>> tomcatjss [1][2], dogtag [3][4] and jglobus [5].
>
> That is easily fixable. I've already got a patch to fix that I use as
> $work that I can pull in.

That fix won't work for tomcatjss because they use the socket directly
iirc. Short of putting the connector back tomcatjss has to be updated
to work with NIO before it will work again. I'm trying to make it easy

Re: [VOTE] 8.0.x EOL - 30 June 2018

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 8.0.x EOL - 30 June 2018

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 8.0.x EOL - 30 June 2018

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@alibaba-inc.com>.
Hi,

The main reason is RFC6265 is released after IE9, and IE9 is still in our supported browser list (though not recommended).
I'm personally fine with using LegacyCookieProcessor instead of RFC6265CookieProcessor for LEGACY issues.
However, it is not easy for an embedded Tomcat in an Spring-boot application to switch RFC6265CookieProcessor to LegacyCookieProcessor, unless we change the Spring-boot code.
I am thinking of adding an system property, e.g. "org.apache.tomcat.util.http.CookieProcessor", to make the process easier.

From:Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Time:2017 Jun 26 (Mon) 17:55
To:Tomcat Developers List <de...@tomcat.apache.org>
Subject:Re: [VOTE] 8.0.x EOL - 30 June 2018

On 26/06/17 03:19, Huxing Zhang wrote:
>> The only thing I can think of is lack of support for the BIO connectors.
>> I have an easy fix for that if there is interest. Anything else?
>
> Also the RFC6265CookieProcessor.  We've experienced several incompatibility with LegacyCookieProcessor.
> For example,  cookies with leading dot is no longer valid in RFC6265CookieProcessor.

Since RFC6265 is clear that the leading '.' should not be there, I'm
reluctant to introduce a change to allow it. Unsurprisingly, it is IE
that needs the leading '.' in some cases.

We have made exceptions for IE in the past. Do we want to do that here?
LegacyCookieProcessor remains an option for those that need to support
this particular quirk of IE.

Personally, I'd prefer not to introduce a new option but I could be
persuaded to support such a change if there was sufficient demand.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] 8.0.x EOL - 30 June 2018

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 8.0.x EOL - 30 June 2018