Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com> on 2012/03/19 16:23:51 UTC

AOO release preparation questions

Hi all,

I am Juergen Schmidt (jsc) working mainly on the AOO(incubating) project
and I am currently acting as release manager for AOO.

I just wanted to clarify what we need to be prepared for a first release
(release candidate) for Apache OpenOffice.

I collected some information based on discussion and proposals on our
mailing lists.

And some question that comes into my mind
- do we have any problems with the required space today or in the future
when it will potentially grow?
- how much time do we need to have the mirror network synced with the
files that we can align any kind of communication around the release.
- ...

Platforms
=========
We plan to release Windows, Linux, MacOS

FreeBSD is handled separately directly from the BSD guys

Solaris can be seen as a further possible candidate in the future.

Products
========
AOO is a end-user oriented product and the user experience is important.
That means we would like to provide language specific binary builds for
our users to provide the same comfort and user experience as before.

Languages
=========
AOO was available in ~100 languages and it would be nice if we can
address as much as possible but for the beginning we would at least
start with languages where we got feedback and/or new translations for.

en-US de fr es it ja zh-CN pt-BR nl ru hu fi zh-TW

Probably more language packs when we have the translations ready

Some numbers about the required space
=====================================

A first rough estimation about the required space. We would need round
about ~12GB for a proposed release for the 4 platforms (Windows, Linux
(x86, x86-64), MacOS) and 13 languages.

It can grow quite fast if we want release Solaris as well and more
languages.

Source Releases
===============
aoo-3.4-src.zip = ~373MB
aoo-3.4-src.tar.gz = ~312MB
aoo-3.4-src.tar.bz2 = ~250MB
asc, md5, sha1, sha512 files = ~3K
Size = ~935MB

MacOS
=====
dmg = ~160MB
number of languages = 13
asc, md5, sha1, sha512 files = ~10K
Size = 13 * 160MB = 1.69GB

Windows
=======
download exe = 109MB
number of languages = 13
asc, md5, sha1, sha512 files = ~10K (not verified yet)
Size = 13 * 109MB = 1.417GB

Linux
=====
x86
rpm.tar.gz = 139MB
deb.tar.gz = 138MB
number of languages = 13
asc, md5, sha1, sha512 files = ~20K ((not verified yet))
Size = 13 * 138MB + 9 * 139MB = ~3.6GB

x86-64
rpm.tar.gz = 148MB
deb.tar.gz = 147MB
number of languages = 13
asc, md5, sha1, sha512 files = ~20K (not verified yet)
Size = 13 * 148MB + 9 * 147MB = ~3.835GB

Regards

Juergen