Posted to commits@spark.apache.org by rx...@apache.org on 2013/11/05 02:54:26 UTC

[12/12] git commit: Merge pull request #130 from aarondav/shuffle

Merge pull request #130 from aarondav/shuffle

Memory-optimized shuffle file consolidation

Reduces overhead of each shuffle block for consolidation from >300 bytes to 8 bytes (1 primitive Long). Verified via profiler testing with 1 mil shuffle blocks, net overhead was ~8,400,000 bytes.

Despite the memory-optimized implementation incurring extra CPU overhead, the runtime of the shuffle phase in this test was only around 2% slower, while the reduce phase was 40% faster, when compared to not using any shuffle file consolidation.

This is accomplished by replacing the map from ShuffleBlockId to FileSegment (i.e., block id to where it's located), which had high overhead due to being a gigantic, timestamped, concurrent map with a more space-efficient structure. Namely, the following are introduced (I have omitted the word "Shuffle" from some names for clarity):
**ShuffleFile** - there is one ShuffleFile per consolidated shuffle file on disk. We store an array of offsets into the physical shuffle file for each ShuffleMapTask that wrote into the file. This is sufficient to reconstruct FileSegments for mappers that are in the file.
**FileGroup** - contains a set of ShuffleFiles, one per reducer, that a MapTask can use to write its output. There is one FileGroup created per _concurrent_ MapTask. The FileGroup contains an array of the mapIds that have been written to all files in the group. The positions of elements in this array map directly onto the positions in each ShuffleFile's offsets array.

In order to locate the FileSegment associated with a BlockId, we have another structure which maps each reducer to the set of ShuffleFiles that were created for it. (There will be as many ShuffleFiles per reducer as there are FileGroups.) To lookup a given ShuffleBlockId (shuffleId, reducerId, mapId), we thus search through all ShuffleFiles associated with that reducer.

As a time optimization, we ensure that FileGroups are only reused for MapTasks with monotonically increasing mapIds. This allows us to perform a binary search to locate a mapId inside a group, and also enables potential future optimization (based on the usual monotonic access order).

Project: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-spark/repo
Commit: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-spark/commit/7a26104a
Tree: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-spark/tree/7a26104a
Diff: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-spark/diff/7a26104a

Branch: refs/heads/master
Commit: 7a26104ab7cb492b347ba761ef1f17ca1b9078e4
Parents: b5dc339 1ba11b1
Author: Reynold Xin <rx...@apache.org>
Authored: Mon Nov 4 17:54:06 2013 -0800
Committer: Reynold Xin <rx...@apache.org>
Committed: Mon Nov 4 17:54:06 2013 -0800

 .../apache/spark/scheduler/ShuffleMapTask.scala |  23 +--
 .../org/apache/spark/storage/BlockManager.scala |  10 +-
 .../spark/storage/BlockObjectWriter.scala       |  15 +-
 .../apache/spark/storage/DiskBlockManager.scala |  49 +----
 .../org/apache/spark/storage/DiskStore.scala    |   4 +-
 .../spark/storage/ShuffleBlockManager.scala     | 189 +++++++++++++++----
 .../spark/storage/StoragePerfTester.scala       |  10 +-
 .../org/apache/spark/util/MetadataCleaner.scala |   2 +-
 .../collection/PrimitiveKeyOpenHashMap.scala    |   6 +
 .../spark/util/collection/PrimitiveVector.scala |  51 +++++
 .../spark/storage/DiskBlockManagerSuite.scala   |  84 +++++++++