Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "V. Cekvenich" <vc...@basebeans.com> on 2003/01/05 12:58:23 UTC

Re: Another bright idea, make "indexed" work with JSTL forEach and friends

Craig wrote :
"I'm playing with more interesting
  ideas like using Jelly scripts (or JSP pages) as Actions so you don't
have  to write them in Java. "

If Actions, or anything goes XML (Jelly), or JSP, EL or generator (or
sometimes design patterns) we lose OO.

OO gives us productivity as Java is OO capable, and some people use it
in OO way. (Similar issue in C++, some people use C++ in C mode, or what
I call object disoriented mode).

Unless there is a way I do not know of to make above (XML, el,
generators) be able to do:
- "is a / has a"  (extends a base class, or  has an extended helper object)
- inheritance and delegation (same as above) allows for after the fact
programing. After a developer thinks they are done with the scope,
*clients like to change the scope*, so when one has a baseAction or a
baseActionHelper, one can go to the base class and quickly maintain the
code, and not have to go to every place.

Java is OO capable, whereas above listed things AFAIK do not have that
productivity in maintenance mode.

Please take OO in consideration, it is a 10 fold advantage for the OO
Java practitioners. (It is not just overriding and polymorphisam. I
could give more real life examples. Like one base action that need to
act this way or another depedning on the situation.)

Same issue is for non Action cases. XML, or JSP, EL,  generator,  or
scripts (or sometimes design patterns) we could lose OO and flexibility.

(I can say in EL when you use this expresion here do it this way, BUT
over here, use the same expresion in another way)

(OT: I was told that Flash (when one does data entery screens in a Flash
plug in) can do limited OO)

.V

Posted by "V. Cekvenich" <vc...@basebeans.com>.
Oh. Yeah, tiles XML is "OO".